VGA works, DVI "no signal"

Huike

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
I've been struggling with this problem for weeks and I am starting to get really frustrated. I'm using an Acer s211hl bd monitor and when I use the VGA port (VGA cable with DVI adapter to the video card) it works fine. But I had a problem where I was getting horizontal distortion lines across my screen and it was unbearable while gaming, I later found out that because my power supply is a very high wattage it interferes with the analog signal carried through the VGA cable, so I would have to use DVI. But when I plug in the DVI cable I get "no signal". When I connect both cables to the monitor and force the monitor to DVI through Catalyst Control Center, I get no signal. If I try to swap to DVI input on the monitor it immediately reverts back to VGA. Also, there is a difference on my monitor between "no signal" and "no cable connected", if I just connect the DVI cable I don't get "no cable connected", I get "no signal". The only thing I've read so far that seems plausible is that the monitor's EDID is corrupted, and I would have absolutely no idea how to fix that.

Also, the port on my graphics card is a DVI-I dual link cable, the port on my monitor is a DVI-D dual link cable, and the cable I'm using is a DVI-D single link cable. From the research I've done, it should be compatible.

I'm using the following GPU:
Asus - HD Radeon 6800 series

If anyone has any insight or advice I would appreciate it greatly.

Huike

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
This is actually very strange. Everything up to this point led me to believe the monitor was at fault, but it works great with the dvi input from my laptop...

I suppose the cable could be bad as well? I don't know how it could be a graphics card problem or a settings problem, I've changed every possible setting in CCC and it DOES recognize that a 'LCD flat panel' has been plugged in when I plug in the DVI cable from the monitor.

Huike

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
Also, I forgot to mention, I tried the same thing with another graphics card (and also with the on board graphics card), and it failed to work. I guess that really narrows it down huh? It really seems like I have a bad cable. I'll have to go buy a new one and test it

Surgeking

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
not to confuse the problem but i wanted to chime in on something i had problems with .

mine was that i could not get the vga to work on the graphics card but it did work with the on board vga. I got it to work only if windows loaded but meant i can not see the bios so i kept trying stuff, seemed there is a BIOS option to use different hardware, it had stuff like igp and peg, not even too sure what they mean, but i messed with those options and eventually found one that worked. Now i can see everything just with the graphics card, on which i have an adapter because i have a vga monitor, it's old but it's still working great.

So i am wondering if maybe it's a BIOS option problem. I know it doesn't make sense since the card is working with vga, just not dvi. but sometimes with problems that don't make sense, it gets fixed with solutions that don't make sense =)