[SOLVED] VGA_LED on, won't boot

marshmelllo

Honorable
Dec 26, 2015
Hi,

My pc has been working fine for several months but last night I was away from my computer for about 30 minutes and when I came back I couldn't wake my computer. I tried restarting it and I heard one beep and everything seemed fine - just no output to the display. I turned it off and on again a couple more times and the same thing happened every time. Then I tried pressing the restart button and this time I heard 3 beeps (which I think means a problem with memory) which is weird because I only hear 1 beep when I turn it off and then on.

This morning I tried turning it on but now there are no beeps and my motherboard had the VGA_LED on. I tried unplugging my graphics card and using integrated graphics but nothing changed. I tried using another graphics card but nothing changed. I tried taking my ram out and putting it in again and still nothing changed.

I don't know what to try next. Could it be a problem with my cpu?

specs:
gigabyte 3070
ryzen 7 5800x
Asus tuf gaming b550 plus wifi

Solution
I tried using a different psi and I tried putting the gpu in a different slot but still no success.

I guess it's down to my motherboard and CPU.

Is it even possible for either of these components to just stop working like this? my computer has been running perfectly for months
Yes it is entirely possible. It died in the middle of use, when acomponent failed. It sounds like it tried to start up once or twice, then even that gave up. Some component just gave up trying, the problem is finding where it is. Try contacting the motherboard maker's tech support, run through the problems with them. If your system is new enough the motherboard should still be in warranty as they run 2, 3 years and some even more.
Corsair rm750x

Yea I didn't know that there was no integrated graphics but I tried it with another graphics card and it didn't work so the problem can't be with my graphics card
remove the memory modules and try them one at a time in each socket. Be sure to push hard enough to fully engage contacts.

also reset CMOS...disconnect power, remove the battery, short pins for a couple min's, then reassemble.

have you tried checking all connections?

tried gpu's in a different PCIe x16 slot? not ideal since it will only be wired x4 but it will at least tell you if the primary slot isn't functioning

try a different PSU?

then all that will be left is motherboard or CPU. i'd wager it's the motherboard once past the PSU.

Last edited:

marshmelllo

Honorable
Dec 26, 2015
have you tried checking all connections?

tried gpu's in a different PCIe x16 slot? not ideal since it will only be wired x4 but it will at least tell you if the primary slot isn't functioning

try a different PSU?

then all that will be left is motherboard or CPU. i'd wager it's the motherboard once past the PSU.

I tried using a different psi and I tried putting the gpu in a different slot but still no success.

Is it even possible for either of these components to just stop working like this? my computer has been running perfectly for months

Yes it is entirely possible. It died in the middle of use, when acomponent failed. It sounds like it tried to start up once or twice, then even that gave up. Some component just gave up trying, the problem is finding where it is. Try contacting the motherboard maker's tech support, run through the problems with them. If your system is new enough the motherboard should still be in warranty as they run 2, 3 years and some even more.

Solution