VHS to Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 5, 2020
I am just wondering if there is any method of getting VHS video to a PC to record what is on it and store digitally?

Example. I have some old VHS video tapes of my time in the Navy such as my graduation video, adventure activities and various other sentimental videos that are on VHS.

I have tried the Kworld2 and it is useless.

Specifically I am wondering if there is a card I can purchase that will go in the computer or any other method.

Feb 5, 2020
Hi @sutho

Something like this would work for what you want to do. If you don't have a Wal-Mart near you, then places like Amazon have similar. Amazon would also be cheaper.

Thank you for your service.
Thanks. It looks similar to the kwold device thing so would I be right to assume that not all should be considered the same?

I have a few online options to get it or highly rated ones in Australia. Is the USB transfer the only option?

Feb 5, 2020
USB is not your only option. There are lots of PCIe cards too.
For example:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensitypro4k

What outputs does your VCR have? Composite, S-Video, component, something else?
Thanks that is also helpful as I have not purchased anything yet. The VCR I have and can use has the standard red, white and yellow cables. I do not believe it has S-video but could check.

Also with my computer I have one spare PCIe x4 slot available.

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I have used this app/device successfully to convert all of my old VHS tapes. Works great:

Feb 5, 2020
Thanks for all replies. I have checked my VCR and it only has the red yellow and white cables at the back. I will take a look at all the suggestions above and find out what I can get in Australia sent to me. The VCR I have still works and the picture of the videos are fine although the enlarged screen does not do it good for sharpness.

At the very best when I get a product I would try to keep the videos original aspect ratio and size and use something like Premiere Pro to centre the video and maybe create a wallpaper background so it can display at a better resolution on the larger screens.

Feb 5, 2020
Maybe tell us what problems you have with it?
Bad picture,dropped frames?
Thanks I should have done that but yes it was as you described. Both bad picture and dropped frames as well as poor audio. I do not have a slow computer but for some reason when I hooked the VCR up to it the computer program would not get everything that the VCR was playing. It was like a whole sequence of video was missing and distorted. It took me some time to install it and install the drivers and then the whole result was disappointing. My computer at present can just manage to edit and play with 4K video in Adobe Premiere Pro so it is not that bad that it cannot handle simple VCR quality vide.

Thanks I should have done that but yes it was as you described. Both bad picture and dropped frames as well as poor audio. I do not have a slow computer but for some reason when I hooked the VCR up to it the computer program would not get everything that the VCR was playing. It was like a whole sequence of video was missing and distorted. It took me some time to install it and install the drivers and then the whole result was disappointing. My computer at present can just manage to edit and play with 4K video in Adobe Premiere Pro so it is not that bad that it cannot handle simple VCR quality vide.
Well 4k has ONE standard.
VCR has like a hundred or something,australia has a different TV signal then america and it is very possible that the garbled output is because your VCR uses PAL B/G as australia used to have while your software is set up for secam or ntsc.

If you are not getting all the frames the only bottleneck could be the USB port but if you have USB 2 you should be ok with getting the 24 or so FPS that VCRs are playing.
Or the software you use is crap or uses a codec that is too heavy for your CPU,did you try RAW capture?

Feb 5, 2020
VCR has like a hundred or something,australia has a different TV signal then america and it is very possible that the garbled output is because your VCR uses PAL B/G as australia used to have while your software is set up for secam or ntsc.

If you are not getting all the frames the only bottleneck could be the USB port but if you have USB 2 you should be ok with getting the 24 or so FPS that VCRs are playing.
Or the software you use is crap or uses a codec that is too heavy for your CPU,did you try RAW capture?

I have the USB 2 so that was fine and at the moment my USB port is fine for playing Blu Ray via USB into the PC to watch on either of my screens.

I do have the PAL system here in Australia. I suspected it was the software but I also got the impression my computer was struggling to keep up when I used it as all other functions slowed down until I just pulled the USB out.

It was a while ago as in a year or two so don't remember much more. I did try it out as best I could but had no luck. In any event I think it was the software that came with the program as it was very limited to what it could do.

There is a StarTech product available from a supplier in Australia that I could try out and see how I go. Once I get it onto the computer in any format that Adobe Premiere Pro can edit then I am happy as I can take complete control from there with a program I am familiar with.

Feb 5, 2020

Hey I just thought of something else recently about the video I tried to get on my computer. Could a recording blocker that disrupts the AGC signal cause the computer to not be able to record it?

I am aware some VHS tapes had a copy blocker coded on them that the signal would be distorted if you went from one VHS player to another and then the TV. This could be avoided by adding a forth into it in which case it would not work.

I am not sure if the video I has would have this protection but the only video I ever used was from my Navy graduation. It was recorded 30th July 1999 and they were distributed to each of us en mass. We were told that the equipment the Navy used would not allow VHS to VHS copying so before heading off to our after party we all had to stand there and wait for the video to be copied if we were posting off the establishment after graduation.

Even if there is some sort of copy blocker on it surly a computer would not be susceptible to this? or am I wrong?

Even if there is some sort of copy blocker on it surly a computer would not be susceptible to this? or am I wrong?
It's the output of the video that is affected so the computer can't really do anything about it and all the companies that make input devices are afraid of lawsuits so they don't meddle with it.
There should be recording software that can deal with it though,stabilize it and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.