VIA Creates Reference Design for 1080p Netbooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Now this is what i would like to see in a box under my plasma screen, a system costing in a beautiful box around $250 low power high efficiency

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
I believe there is a strong market demand for an inexpensive, efficient, and flexible Home Theater PC that can output 1080P. I'm really scratching my head as to why it's not on the market yet? Something similar to the MSI WIND Desktop (dual core Atom) but with a decent integrated video card to output 1080P through an HDMI connection on board. Why can't I buy something like that right now? I mean really!

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
And I know you can buy a "media box" of sorts like the western digital one, but I want the flexibility to use an open source, non-proprietary interface for my media center software.

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]cletus_slackjawd[/nom]I believe there is a strong market demand for an inexpensive, efficient, and flexible Home Theater PC that can output 1080P. I'm really scratching my head as to why it's not on the market yet?[/citation]

We have to wait longer, because neither Atom or VIA C7 CPU has the horsepower to decode the stupid DRM encryption on 1080p HD video stream in real time. This board and ION could work as HTPC only if you remove the encryption offline (and become a criminal in USA, thanks DMCA) before you start streaming it.

fuzzymath10

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
It's not quite the same thing, but I've been running an Antec Minuet on the floor by my TV setup, and it works and looks great. With a cheap CPU like the E2140 and a passive low-rise card like the HD 3450, it's also cool and quiet, and has room for 2 hard drives (I have 2TB internal). I have a blu-ray drive in it, and it connects using DVI (with HDCP). All of this easily runs with the included 300W MATX PSU too.

It's a bit warmer and slightly nosier after upgrading to a Q6600, but the box can do a lot more things now.

apoq

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Netbooks just got a lot more interesting. I'd get one if it had a Via chip in it. Intel needs some competition here, fast!

G

It'd be amazing if Via could find a way to combine the CPU and GPU together; just like Nvidia's physics engine, where CPU and GPU will be used together to improve day to day tasks and small gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.