VIA Launches First Ever Dual Core Pico-ITX Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
Wait, is this X86 (well X64) compatible? VIA has a license to make X86 chips right?

If so this could be very useful to me.

EDIT : It seems it is X86. All the drivers on their website are for Windows 7 and XP.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Well that's pretty awesome. Hook up a wireless keyboard/mouse and you have a crazy small HTPC.

Integrated wireless would really seal this as being an amazing product.

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Don't waste your money. The chipsets that VIA is making don't have DX10, let alone 11. The processors are weak compared to even Atom's, and all of their hardware video acceleration features aren't worth a wet fart since you need to have VLC media player with a bunch of bungware codec packs installed in order to take advantage of it. Windows Media Player 11 on Windows 7 only partially supports their hardware acceleration, and even then, almost 75% of the CPU usage is taken up when playing just a 720p video (VLC gets it down to about 30%, which is not even close to ideal). Their stuff is just crap. I bought a few different boards, including one with the same chipset but a higher CPU, and they're just a waste of money. If you want something better, get an AMD embedded board instead - at least you can get something with a modern APU with a DX11 GPU. Even Atom boards will run Aero properly too - VIA's drivers for Aero STILL TO THIS DAY don't work properly without getting graphical glitches.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Keep in mind that VIA has a really bad habit of announcing stuff, and then not delivering it for a very long time. They announced their new chipset October of last year, and it's still not available on a single motherboard.

They're a really strange company. Not that their stuff doesn't work, I have one and it's brutally slow, but works fine. It's just they take so long to release stuff.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]waethorn[/nom]Don't waste your money. The chipsets that VIA is making don't have DX10, let alone 11. The processors are weak compared to even Atom's, and all of their hardware video acceleration features aren't worth a wet fart since you need to have VLC media player with a bunch of bungware codec packs installed in order to take advantage of it. Windows Media Player 11 on Windows 7 only partially supports their hardware acceleration, and even then, almost 75% of the CPU usage is taken up when playing just a 720p video (VLC gets it down to about 30%, which is not even close to ideal). Their stuff is just crap. I bought a few different boards, including one with the same chipset but a higher CPU, and they're just a waste of money. If you want something better, get an AMD embedded board instead - at least you can get something with a modern APU with a DX11 GPU. Even Atom boards will run Aero properly too - VIA's drivers for Aero STILL TO THIS DAY don't work properly without getting graphical glitches.[/citation]

dont use aero? as far as im aware, its only there for pretty, correct me if im wrong.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]power supply? dvd drive? storage??????[/citation]
Yes. The first one you need. The other two would be optional.

Actually Via CPU's crush Atom's, awhile back Tom's did a review on them. Via's been making ultra small / low power CPU's longer then either Intel or AMD, its the niche they targeted back when the other two were duking it out over desktop / server space. Funny thing is, most Via CPU's aren't even used in consumer devices, their used in ATM's, Point of Sale devices (cash registers), Internet Kiosks, Multimedia advertising boards, medical devices and industrial applications. Their CPU's are designed to run anywhere from freezing cold to scorching hot desert heat. It's an interesting technology, not the absolute fastest nor cheapest, but perfect for when you need a light low powered device that never ~ever~ dies to run in environmentally unfriendly conditions.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I had a mini-ITX board that I loved (before I fried because of all the heat) this sounds like it would be awesome. If it was $150 or less I would buy it.

zer0net

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Don't see the RAM slot on the right side?[/citation]

ahhh nevermind i was looking for desktop ram slot. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.