Via Launches Nano Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Via Technologies is ramping up its efforts to take on chip giant Intel. The newly unveiled Nano processor has Via aiming directly at Intel’s Atom processor.
The x86-compatible Nano processor is Via’s first 64-bit superscalar processors from the company’s

Via Launches Nano Processor : Read more

draxssab

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
This looks very interesting, just let us know some pricing. For now, VIA took over Intel on this according to me, as funny as it could sound :p

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Who is going to buy a computer that says “VIA Inside”?

I am sure the average user doesn’t care what powers there machine but for many of us it would be hard to jump ship from AMD/Intel and get a VIA... for now anyways, lets see some performance statistics.

It is nice to see these guys getting some headlines; hopefully they have a competitive product.

wifi

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2008
from what the article says, that't a winner product as it gets the best of both worlds: performance for some more power and a real power saving when you don't need performance. However, we wait for the review to see if it's not just marketing talk

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
This sounds like an ideal upgrade for the HP 2133 mininote. The extra muscle would certainly benefit Vista and multimedia playback. Heck its pin compatible - download a firmware upgrade, gimme a screwdriver and I can do it myself.

smelly_feet

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
This is great. Now the next step for via and intel (and Jetway) is to reduce the consumption of the rest of the system board - chipset, memory controller, etc. So far it seems like they all focus on reducing the consumption of the processor. The new intel board is a great candidate for a Hac^&*$osh with its 950 chipset. Now intel will be attacked on two fronts - amd on the performance side and via on the low power cpu side.

parad0xic

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
errr for those that are posting just FYI the nano processor is for mobile applications aka cellphones n such or perhaps lowend PCs like the EEE but for sure its not a product to rival intels core2 products

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]Who is going to buy a computer that says “VIA Inside”?[/citation]
You'd be surprized. I have one of their older C3 products running in a custom mobile pc application. It's definately not for gaming... but trust me, it has it's uses.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I think this is what the Atom SHOULD have been. (as well as being a system on a chip). At least give the ATOM 64 bit instructions to FINALLY kill off all 32 bit windows and 32 bit applications. I also don't know why Intel is obsessed with MIDs. It seems everyone I can think of wants to run real Linux or Windows apps with quick lauches to the nomal Internet apps.
Such as, Windows 7 is getting castrated so it can run on the eeePC. Rather than making the Windows 7 leaner to run better on normal notebooks.
I don't think I explained this well, but the eeePC clones (and the future eeePC) with the small internal hard-drives will be VERY popular and what the UMPCs should have been.

G

800 MHZ FSB? I see substantial gains over the atom, bridging the gap between core 2 ULV and atom. Maybe this is why intel is pushing for dual core atom while pushing back centrino 2.

Reducing the fab tech to 55 or 45 (eventually 32)nm would reduce the power consumption, but this processor will not be fit for anything smaller than the hp mininote for mobile purposes.

If the 800 mhz fsb, "out-of-order" instruction processing, and pin compatibility point to anything though, it's a future dual core nano.

parawizard

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
I would like to point out a few things...

While the VIA C8 has a higher maximum TDP it also can change the frequency clock in 1 cycle. Meaning it can save energy quite easier then the Atom. Where atom is a very simple chip the C8 is very complex. Just as others have brought up also the atom is in order and the C8 is out of order execution.

The Intel chipsets matched with the Atoms on these boards are really sucking. Hopefully gets a chance to throw something really low power consumption or way better performance on new C8 boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.