VIA Makes In-Vehicle Platform for Car PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
But let's not get hasty here: this motherboard--or rather platform as VIA calls it--isn't meant for playing high-maintenance games like F.E.A.R. 2 and Crysis.
Is there anyone here that seriously thought you could play Crysis while driving? Or would want to for that matter.

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
neat to see somebody thinking of enthusiasts who put pc's in their cars, not that I really care about such a thing but via really seems to be searching for a niche market of their own

james_8970

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
It may be a niche market now, but this will undoubtedly see massive growth over the next few years. The possibilities are virtually endless in what we can achieve with carPCs and wireless technology.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
yup, this looks interesting, depending on what kind of software this comes with it would make GPS makers obsolete.

Also I'd love to have the versatility of being able to load terabytes worth of music in the car :)

The applications of cameras and security are also very intriguing.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Hatecrime69[/nom]neat to see somebody thinking of enthusiasts who put pc's in their cars, not that I really care about such a thing but via really seems to be searching for a niche market of their own[/citation]
I guess.

But why not just put a tower system with an SSD in your trunk with a display in the dash?

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]Hatecrime69[/nom]neat to see somebody thinking of enthusiasts who put pc's in their cars, not that I really care about such a thing but via really seems to be searching for a niche market of their own[/citation]

Ehh? All new cars have computers inside.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I think it be killer to have a Windows unit running on your dashboard and integrated into the cars stereo/positioning. SOOO many possibilities would be available. I would however like to see a little more CPU power and ram.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
My aftermarket car stereo has a 30 gig HDD, navigation and every other toy available for a stereo… but nothing would beat a touch screen windows unit.

G

"I would however like to see a little more CPU power and ram."

Why, 1gb of ram is more than enough to play HD audio and run the GPS at the same time. Remember that when XP first came out, 64MB of ram was standard.

Startingline13

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
I currently have a PC installed into my Jeep Liberty and I love it. I have some of my build log online as well. Look for me on the Mp3car.com forums under the handle "Startingline13"

It's a great resource for all you want to know about car PCs

russofris

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
Is this a new platform, or is it a paper release like the 855 where they ripped components off of an 800 series and gave it a new name?

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]sdhsdhsderh[/nom]"I would however like to see a little more CPU power and ram."Why, 1gb of ram is more than enough to play HD audio and run the GPS at the same time. Remember that when XP first came out, 64MB of ram was standard.[/citation]
I just prefer doing everything on my gaming rig then my laptop as it has more juice, everything is snappier.. You can never have enough CPU and ram... even if it is in a car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts