VIA Supporting Android on Embedded x86 Boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
It makes sense given that VIA targets the extreme low end of the x86 market. Obviously the typical VIA purchaser can't afford Windows OS so the options are steal a copy of Windows (probably done all the time in the markets where VIA operates) or go with a free OS such as Linux or Android. Android is obviously much more attractive than Linux for consumers. This could be a big win for Google as it may help to push Android into the Chinese marketplace.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
VIA talks about stuff they don't sell a lot of times. They have a good chipset CN1000, they sent out to reviewers a year ago, and you still can't get it.

VX900 is underpowered, and only DX9 compliant. Until they get the CN1000 out, they aren't very competitive. Over a year after sending them out for evaluation should be enough time. Talk about delays ...

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
Yes - HTPC - and Carputer are the two major places I can see this being hugely applicable.
Hell, a combination of the two. Have a HTPC at home running android, and a Carputer in your car running android. Link them together over ssh proxy and you can watch your recorded TV shows while driving in your car. Take that Safety commission and your no-cell phones. I just put in an entertainment system instead!
And yes, I know you can do this with Linux already... but android would be so much cooler.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]newbie_mcnoob[/nom]VIA still has a x86 license?[/citation]
yes i thought intel only renewed it for AMD because AMD licenses them the x64

Status
Not open for further replies.