[SOLVED] Vibrating/ Crackling/Clicking sound like a sound a HDD would make is coming from where my liquid cooler is mounted over the CPU and the back also

methix0r

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
So, i just noticed, when i put the ear to the back of my case where the exaust fan is i can here what sounds like noise a HDD would make, so then i took the back panel off and put my ear to the other side of the motherboard the back and i could hear it most clear in this place, i was hoping it was the fans or something , idk still could be something to do with pump or fans in radiator? i guess, but to me seems like it is isolated to where cpu is, and to where the pumps connect to the mount over CPU, got no clue what it is, my pc seems to be running normally as far as i can tell. i checked temps at IDLE still the same as they always where around 30 degrees in the bios and like 35+ when in windows, not sure if the windows temps increased or not but seems about the same.

It is really really really annoying, even with the side panels on i can still here it cause it is so distinct it is like a higher pitched sound than a HDD clicking would make. Another thing i noticed was i heard some like swooshing winding up sound comping from somewhere a few times.

But this sound is really bothering me it never stops now, and overrides everything else.

I cant find anything not working correctly. When i was in by bios i could see the AIO pump was running like 2000 RPM + in the bios the actual liquid cooler i have is Be Quiet ! silent loop 240 mm cpu is core i9 9900k.

Im not aware of any software i can download for this specific liquid cooler to check if anything is wrong.

I haven't noticed anything wrong with temps i checked idle temps in HWID they where always around that, i did see them jumping a bit not sure if its normal or not.

Would appreciate some help as im not sure if something is wrong. Posted HWID images below. Im concerned either the pump or cpu is dying or something is wrong but i cant find anything wrong.

I downloaded the intel processor diagnostic tool, when it was in the iprime phase prime number, and it was at full load and max mhz temps did go to around 74-76 degrees. for like 30 seconds. During cpu load test phase was around 60-65 degrees Results from intel processor diagnostic tool are below .

Only thing that happened is i upgraded my old card to a rtx 3070, some months ago, installed a m.2 SSD NVME , My psu is a straight power 11 so all of that it will manage easily. Im wondering when i installed windows maybe it did something stuffed some setting up only thing i can think off.
034a327e3f552b8a4e04baee33f223cf.png

Here are screenshots from HWID when pc is on idle.

48904fa221bb0ab324735a57f38a0039.png

462b012e3356b606d4528b6fb2965ce9.png
'
8407236995069484c9b0edb2119b858c.png

cce5546e969eac58061a448694c6bf75.png

2704a0f33affded70a7df4d50bc1729a.png

Last edited:
Solution
So, i just noticed, when i put the ear to the back of my case where the exaust fan is i can here what sounds like noise a HDD would make...
As you probably have guessed it's air bubbles in the liquid lines of your AIO getting into the pump. Mount the radiator so at least the end tank without the hose attachments (barbs) is above the CPU/pump/waterblock. That way air bubbles can accumulate in a part of the radiator that's above the CPU and stay out of the pump.

Air bubbles will accumulate with time in any AIO as liquid permeates through the rubber hoses. NEVER mount the radiator completely below the pump/waterblock or the air (bubbles) will accumlate in the pump and make gurgling and 'ticking' sounds. If your AIO radiator is...

methix0r

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Update one thing i have noticed the temperature on the NVME m.2 SSD drive has gone up, it was on 58 degrees before now its 52 dont know if that has anything to do with issue im experiencing, as it was never that high before always around 30-40

402df05ab67b64badd676830c1af7ff6.png

allidsarebusy

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2016
There is an old Russian joke.
Young student comes to old professor and asks him:
-Professor, do you sleep with your beard on top of the blanket or underneath it?
- You know young man, I never even thought about it...
One week later that young student walks in the university when that same old professor grabs him and starts screaming:
- You bastard!! I can't sleep anymore! No mater where I keep my beard, it never feels comfortable!

Maybe you should listen less to your PC ;)))

My watercooler also makes similar sound, or is it actually CPU? In both cases, don't put your ear on it, you may end up hearing so many sounds that you wont be able to sleep ;)

Reactions: Krotow
So, i just noticed, when i put the ear to the back of my case where the exaust fan is i can here what sounds like noise a HDD would make...
As you probably have guessed it's air bubbles in the liquid lines of your AIO getting into the pump. Mount the radiator so at least the end tank without the hose attachments (barbs) is above the CPU/pump/waterblock. That way air bubbles can accumulate in a part of the radiator that's above the CPU and stay out of the pump.

Air bubbles will accumulate with time in any AIO as liquid permeates through the rubber hoses. NEVER mount the radiator completely below the pump/waterblock or the air (bubbles) will accumlate in the pump and make gurgling and 'ticking' sounds. If your AIO radiator is mounted above the water block/pump and still making these sounds constantly then it's probably lost too much liquid and needs replacement. Or refilling if you're the clever sort.

Normal service life for an AIO is about 5 years until the liquid has permeated to a level where it's no longer effective. As with anything, that too is variable though.

For any liquid cooler to be effective the pump has to be kept at full speed all the time.

Last edited:
Solution

methix0r

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
The Radiator or w/e is above the what u call heatsink and the pump lines or whatever go down from the radiator at the top, it's at top of the case, the case is a be quiet also, this liquid cooler is only 1-2 years old.

Where can i control how fast the pump is so i can put it at max speed, ? there is no software that comes with my pc to control this i have asus rog Strix z390-h