[SOLVED] Video, audio and mouse stuttering after windows 10 upgrade from 7.

Apr 24, 2021
I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 via download from microsoft's website. I had it wipe the system and do a fresh install just so I could have everything start clean.

I am having a severe lag in both graphics and audio. The audio pops and cracks when the system gives me updates or notifications on the right as well as mouse stutter and lag. Video streaming and games are unplayable as it lags every 2 seconds like you're pausing and un-pausing very quickly. Even typing out this post has a lag in the text showing up as i'm typing it. I had no graphical issues before with windows 7 despite having had the same drivers prior.

So far, after searching everything I could find, here are some things i've done already:

--Unistalled the graphics cards from device manager and removed the drivers, restarted and installed fresh drivers.
--Turned off power saving mode in the USB root hubs
--Turned off Cortana
--Turned off mouse power saving option
--Disabled Nvidia High definition Audio (It's time for a new sound card tbh...)
--Diabled "enhance pointer precision" in mouse settings, increased speed slightly to see if it changed....it didn't.
--Turned off "scroll inactive windows when i hover over them" in mouse settings

I think there was a couple other things in power management I might have adjusted, but nothing has had any effect so far.

Since upgrading, my PC is about unusable for any basic task with this stuttering...and I need it, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm currently running 2x GTX 780's in SLI, but looking to upgrade to a 1060 6gb soon, or 2x 1060's in SLI.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 4/24/2021, 11:12:44
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19042) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/11/13 17:42:27 Ver: 04.06.05 (type: BIOS)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 32650MB RAM
Page File: 6078MB used, 31435MB available

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Board - ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Sound - Creative Xi-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty edition
Sound driver ver. 6.0.240.26 4/30/2019
Mouse - Microsoft optical mouse
Keyboard - G510 Logitech gaming Keyboard
Graphics - GTX 780
Graphics Driver ver. 27.21.14.6611

Any more information needed to help track this problem, please let me know.

Solution
Ok. First things first. Take out one of your cards. This should help with the stuttering and lagging.

next things next. Do a fresh install of windows.

These two actions should resolve any and all issues you’re having.

after you get the computer reinstalled and back to a smooth, stable state, try adding in the second card and installing the SLI drivers.

Since they’re old cards and SLI is basically defunct now, your mileage may vary.
I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 via download from microsoft's website. I had it wipe the system and do a fresh install just so I could have everything start clean.

I am having a severe lag in both graphics and audio. The audio pops and cracks when the system gives me updates or notifications on the right as well as mouse stutter and lag. Video streaming and games are unplayable as it lags every 2 seconds like you're pausing and un-pausing very quickly. Even typing out this post has a lag in the text showing up as i'm typing it. I had no graphical issues before with windows 7 despite having had the same drivers prior.

So far, after searching everything I could find, here are some things i've done already:

--Unistalled the graphics cards from device manager and removed the drivers, restarted and installed fresh drivers.
--Turned off power saving mode in the USB root hubs
--Turned off Cortana
--Turned off mouse power saving option
--Disabled Nvidia High definition Audio (It's time for a new sound card tbh...)
--Diabled "enhance pointer precision" in mouse settings, increased speed slightly to see if it changed....it didn't.
--Turned off "scroll inactive windows when i hover over them" in mouse settings

I think there was a couple other things in power management I might have adjusted, but nothing has had any effect so far.

Since upgrading, my PC is about unusable for any basic task with this stuttering...and I need it, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm currently running 2x GTX 780's in SLI, but looking to upgrade to a 1060 6gb soon, or 2x 1060's in SLI.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 4/24/2021, 11:12:44
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19042) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/11/13 17:42:27 Ver: 04.06.05 (type: BIOS)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 32650MB RAM
Page File: 6078MB used, 31435MB available

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Board - ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Sound - Creative Xi-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty edition
Sound driver ver. 6.0.240.26 4/30/2019
Mouse - Microsoft optical mouse
Keyboard - G510 Logitech gaming Keyboard
Graphics - GTX 780
Graphics Driver ver. 27.21.14.6611

Any more information needed to help track this problem, please let me know.
Start over.
Disconnect from the internet.
Install w10.
Block driver updates.

https://www.minitool.com/news/disable-automatic-driver-updates-win-10-009.html

Pause windows updates.
Connect to the internet.
Test.

Apr 24, 2021
Start over.
Disconnect from the internet.
Install w10.
Block driver updates.

https://www.minitool.com/news/disable-automatic-driver-updates-win-10-009.html

Pause windows updates.
Connect to the internet.
Test.

How am I supposed to do a fresh install of windows, i upgraded from their website and ran the downloaded file....I can't even find anything on windows 10 because it's so different from 7, it's almost like they tried to make it as complicated as possible.

also, if the drivers are out of date, how do i determine how to test the system other than seeing if it glitches or not? How do i know which area is he problem and how to prevent it from coming back in a further update? I guess i need more in depth process here...I'm good with computers, but it's been about 10 years since I really dove deep into a computer system to tweak it.

Thanks.

How am I supposed to do a fresh install of windows, i upgraded from their website and ran the downloaded file....I can't even find anything on windows 10 because it's so different from 7, it's almost like they tried to make it as complicated as possible.

also, if the drivers are out of date, how do i determine how to test the system other than seeing if it glitches or not? How do i know which area is he problem and how to prevent it from coming back in a further update? I guess i need more in depth process here...I'm good with computers, but it's been about 10 years since I really dove deep into a computer system to tweak it.

Thanks.
Drivers.
It's your call if you want winupd feeding you drivers.
I turn that feature off and get my drivers from the makers.

Go to the mobo site and get the latest bios......non beta.....test.
Looking at the driver page the top 5 might be of interest.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/z77 extreme4/#Support

Gpu drivers.
What folks do is boot into safe mode and then use DDU to uninstall the drivers.
Then load in a fresh copy.

Yes w10 is much different than w7.
You get to do a lot of searching until you figure out where stuff is hidden.
Then the next update stuff gets moved and you start over.
I find this handy to make things look a little more like w7.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/classic_start.html

To me this sounds like perfectly normal behavior when clean installing Windows 8 or later to a slow HDD💩. Sure, it installs quick but is not finished! After letting WindowsUpdate run overnight to install whatever drivers it wants, things run fine the next day.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
I'm currently running 2x GTX 780's in SLI

Sucks teeth. now there's your problem.

Have you tried running one GTX 780 not in SLI with the normal drivers? It might be an SLI thing.

How am I supposed to do a fresh install of windows

The way I do it is use the Microsoft tool to make a bootable USB flash drive.

Then I take all the files I want to keep from the computer and put them on my portable HDD.

Then I boot the PC from the USB flash drive and choose "New Install" from the menu that comes up. After a few menus etc I am ready to rock.

Apr 24, 2021
I have had absolutely no problems with either card prior to upgrading windows. I ran almost any game in steam I wanted to play with extra power to spare despite having older cards. They have given me absolutely no issues with streaming video or any major issues that I'm even aware of. The moment 10 was installed, all these issues popped up, despite doing absolutely nothing to the hardware. I doubt that one card failed magically while the software was updating.....

Since I installed windows from download and upgrade, I do have the serial number for my new version of windows, but i'm not sure how to go about creating a bootable flash with the tool considering it told me to upgrade directly from the site where i bought the software. Is the an executable file to i need to copy to the USB so i can try again? I'm just not connecting the dots here I guess considering I have no physical software discs to boot from since I downloaded the software and it updated automatically.

Also, my sound is glitched out and stutters horribly as well...i can't listen to anything.

I literally haven't used my PC since I created this thread until now because I can't do anything functional on it...

I'm having trouble finding the appropriate drivers given that it's an older board. I tried the site but it just doesn't look right. I don't have the money to take the computer in to have it fixed, but i'm also so far out of practice with deep diving into the software that I just can't remember half of what I used to do. My HDD is a solid state Terabyte drive I believe...i can't seem to find the info on it given the maze that is Win 10.

Thanks for the help, i'll try to look through the sites, but using the computer with it stuttering and even lagging while typing makes almost the simplest task take 5 times longer and it's very frustrating.

Last edited:

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Ok. First things first. Take out one of your cards. This should help with the stuttering and lagging.

next things next. Do a fresh install of windows.

These two actions should resolve any and all issues you’re having.

after you get the computer reinstalled and back to a smooth, stable state, try adding in the second card and installing the SLI drivers.

Since they’re old cards and SLI is basically defunct now, your mileage may vary.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS