Question Video Card Crashes within 2 minutes of starting a game

Oct 16, 2024
Hi I have an ASUS 2070 RTX and every time I Iaunch a game it crashes black screen and the rear fan on the GPU stops working unless I downloaded msi afterburner and I force the fans on the GPU to run at over 80% it will run fine but the load doesn't seem to go above 8% if I'm not running any games and just browsing the web it jumps up around high 30% off and on its almost like as soon as the game runs it stops working. The computer is like 7 years old and the video card was replaced in 2019 I have had no issues up till 3 days ago and it started doing this. I have blown out the tower cleaned the fans the CPU water cooling radiator and fan were pretty dirty but nothing crazy everything else was slightly dusty nothing to write home about. I uninstalled drivers and reinstalled I even factory reset the pc and still having the issues. Nothing smells hot or like plastic no weird sounds I'm stumped I'm assuming somethings wrong with the power supply or the GPU if anyone has any suggestions, I could really use the help. Also, if I run MSI Afterburner and force the fans to run at 80%+ the game runs like there's no issues I'm getting 100+ FPS most the time and no screen tearing or stuttering runs like it always did but the NZXT monitoring software shows the GPU is hardly working this is mind boggling to me but I'm also no expert.

CPU: i7 7700K LGA1151 (Kaby Lake)
CPU cooler: cyber power Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid Cooling
Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon ATX
Ram: 8GBx2 Gskill Trident z
SSD/HDD: WD 1TB Blue Series Sata 3
GPU: Asus RTX 2070 Super 8G
PSU: Corsair 850M origional power supply from 2017
Chassis: Cyberpower
Monitor: Dual primary is Omen 27 and secondary is Samsung U28E590D

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I have an ASUS 2070 RTX
Asus have a number of RTX2070's in their product portfolio, which one do you have? Try and use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(intel, AMD and Nvidia) in Safe Mode, then manually reinstall the latest GPU driver sourced from Nvidia's support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

To add, when posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

Oct 16, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I have an ASUS 2070 RTX
Asus have a number of RTX2070's in their product portfolio, which one do you have? Try and use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(intel, AMD and Nvidia) in Safe Mode, then manually reinstall the latest GPU driver sourced from Nvidia's support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

To add, when posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.
updated information.

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
Also, if I run MSI Afterburner and force the fans to run at 80%+ the game runs like there's no issues
This implies there's something wrong with the GPU's on-board fan speed controller. When I run Afterburner, I restrict the maximum power of the GPU to 95% to improve stability during renders and leave the fan speed setting at Auto.

its almost like as soon as the game runs it stops working
This sounds likely, because GPU usage will jump from under 30% during web browsing to, say, over 80% for intensive gaming. More power, more heat, greater chance of instability when playing games.

I'm assuming somethings wrong with the power supply or the GPU
It could be either. Simplest way to tell is to swap out components until the fault disappears. The RM850 (exactly which model and year?) is a good PSU. The RTX 2070 might be showing signs of age. Check the PCIe power leads are plugged firmly into the GPU.

The LGA1151 CPU and motherboard are getting a bit old (I have a number of 1150/51/55 boards) so don't rule them out. Check the motherboard for bulging or leaking electrolytics. There's a vague chance you might have RAM or CPU problems, but concentrate on the PSU and GPU first.

iu

Oct 16, 2024
This implies there's something wrong with the GPU's on-board fan speed controller. When I run Afterburner, I restrict the maximum power of the GPU to 95% to improve stability during renders and leave the fan speed setting at Auto.

When I get home I'll try and restrict the power to 90% and leave fans alone see what happens

This sounds likely, because GPU usage will jump from under 30% during web browsing to, say, over 80% for intensive gaming. More power, more heat, greater chance of instability when playing games.

The usage doesn't go up when I start a game it goes down and never goes above 8%.

It could be either. Simplest way to tell is to swap out components until the fault disappears. The RM850 (exactly which model and year?) is a good PSU. The RTX 2070 might be showing signs of age. Check the PCIe power leads are plugged firmly into the GPU.

Couldn't tell you off hand what year but i assume it's from 2017 or 16 since it's the original one i put in when it was built. I removed GPU cleaned looked over and placed back in the plugs were good I also unplugged all the leads from the PSU and blew air to clean them out and looked them over and looked good there. I wish I had replacement parts but I have nothing to swap and test.

The LGA1151 CPU and motherboard are getting a bit old (I have a number of 1150/51/55 boards) so don't rule them out. Check the motherboard for bulging or leaking electrolytics. There's a vague chance you might have RAM or CPU problems, but concentrate on the PSU and GPU first.

Motherboard looks as good as new I didn't see anything weird like bulges or CPU grease leaking or any kind of oxidation on anything it's kept in a well-kept room as I have lots of collectables and what not in there so I don't want them ruined so I keep it at certain temps and humidity.