video card for video editing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekstasis16

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2003
I'm having trouble picking out a new video card for my system. I mainly do video editing and effects in Premiere and AE. I don't want a GeForce cuz I know those handle gaming instructions primarily, and I don't do much 3D work so I don't need a high end Quadro or Wildcat. What is a good video card for video editing? Something with dual display of course....

NurseMSIC

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
To be honest, you could call anything a "good" card, since any recent card by a major manufacturer will produce a good quality signal to the monitor (and this is what you want). Virtually all of them to my knowledge produce cards that have a 2 monitor option.
You state that you don't want a GeForce, but to be honest they are very good cards. As are those by ATI. It's just that these will have lots of features that you'll be paying extra for that you don't need.
The one that i read about that stands out for this is of course Matrox, and they have recently released a new range. I'm absolutely sure though that if you go for a slightly older model you will be happy, if all you want is a clear sharp picture and dual display. Don't spend more than $100.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=18108" target="_new">My <font color=orange>Editing</font color=orange> & <font color=green>Gaming</font color=green> Machine</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by NurseMSIC on 07/14/03 11:37 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
any card would do since video editing is not 3d. But i still prefer getting at least a geforce3 ti card or higher.

<i>
"I'll Take A Quiet Life
-Handshake to Carbon Monoxide- Th.Yo."
</i>

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
If you want to do no gaming at all then a Matrox is fine. Assuming that your card is for display only, then the Maxtor G550 is a very good 2D display card and will cover dual head perfectly 1600x1200.

Avoid anything older than GeForce4 for your needs, since they did not really support dual head I think. I run dual on a GeForce4400 at home and it is very acceptable.

I have heard tell that the ATI cards are very 'true' for video playback, but have never found a GeForce to be lacking.

Honestly, If you are not (3d) gaming at all, and just want a decent AGP video dual head card, get the Matrox G550, which seems to be priced from $75.

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
Any of these cards will do:

ATi All - in- wonder 9000
Nvidia Geforce Ti 4400
matrox parhelia 512

<b><font color=purple>
The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind.
</font color=purple></b>
---
<A HREF="http://www.mapua.edu.ph/" target="_new">
MIT
</A>

Status
Not open for further replies.