Question Video Card Stopped Working After RAM Upgrade

Jan 9, 2024
Here is a tricky situation I'm sure someone has the answer for. I switched out the RAM on my computer and five minutes after running Windows, the system beeped, the screen went blank, and now the video card is not recognized by POST.

Here is the long story:
I decided to upgrade the RAM on my old HP Z620 Workstation. I went to HP’s website to find exactly what was recommended: type, speed, quantity, configuration, etc. I purchased 8 DIMMs of Samsung PC3-12800R ECC RAM with an HP part number. Turned off the computer, removed the 4 DIMMs of PC3-10600R from the system and installed the 8 DIMMs of PC3-12800R into the 8 sockets recommended by HP (there are 12 sockets total). I then turned on the computer. The BIOS recognized the new RAM and asked if I wanted to save the new system settings. I chose “yes” and then Windows 10 booted.

Everything seemed to have gone well, so after a few minutes I tried opening up a benchmark tool to see if the higher speed RAM actually made a difference. I didn’t get the tool running. Instead, the computer beeped, the screen went blank, and all the fans turned on their highest speed. I didn’t know what was going on so after about a minute I shut the computer down.

Upon trying to restart the computer I found that it couldn’t clear POST. Thinking the RAM may be bad, I put the old RAM back in the machine. It still wouldn’t clear POST. After a bunch of trouble shooting, I discovered that if I removed the video card (GeForce GTX 980ti) and installed an old video card (Quadro 2000) I could clear POST and boot into Windows. Now everything works (new RAM or old RAM) except the 980ti. For some reason this is not recognized.

When I turn on the computer the fans and lights come on for about 30 seconds, then there is a single short beep. In about another 30 seconds the short beep in repeated.

Things I have tried:

• Reset CMOS with reset button
  • Reset CMOS by pulling the battery (unplugged, cycled power button, etc.)
  • Went into Device Manager, viewed hidden items and tried to update drivers for the 980ti manually – it wouldn’t let me update the drivers unless the video card was first recognized.
  • I installed both video cards with the monitor plugged into the Quadro 2000, but when power went to the 980ti the computer would not clear POST.
  • I installed both video cards but did not fully power the 980ti (there are two 8-port plugs on top of the card that I left off). Windows does not recognize the card as being installed and just uses the Quadro 2000.
  • Moved 980ti to the other PCIe x16 slot.
  • Dropped the RAM down to two sticks (to reduce power) and plugged in the 980ti.
I’m at a loss. One short beep after 30 seconds is not a POST code for this HP. It seems everything on the computer works except the 980ti video card.

Is there a way I can test the video card? I don’t have another computer with the power required to run the card.

Any ideas of how to get the GTX 980ti to work again?
I am writing this post using the computer in question. Everything is working except this video card.

Original Specs
HP Z620
(2) Xeon E5-2660 8-core processors
Micron 32GB 4x8GB PC3-10600R
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
PSU 800w
GTX 980ti 6GB

Changes
RAM to Samsung 64GB 8x8GB PC3-12800R
Video Card to Quadro 2000

Here is a tricky situation I'm sure someone has the answer for. I switched out the RAM on my computer and five minutes after running Windows, the system beeped, the screen went blank, and now the video card is not recognized by POST.

Here is the long story:
I decided to upgrade the RAM on my old HP Z620 Workstation. I went to HP’s website to find exactly what was recommended: type, speed, quantity, configuration, etc. I purchased 8 DIMMs of Samsung PC3-12800R ECC RAM with an HP part number. Turned off the computer, removed the 4 DIMMs of PC3-10600R from the system and installed the 8 DIMMs of PC3-12800R into the 8 sockets recommended by HP (there are 12 sockets total). I then turned on the computer. The BIOS recognized the new RAM and asked if I wanted to save the new system settings. I chose “yes” and then Windows 10 booted.

Everything seemed to have gone well, so after a few minutes I tried opening up a benchmark tool to see if the higher speed RAM actually made a difference. I didn’t get the tool running. Instead, the computer beeped, the screen went blank, and all the fans turned on their highest speed. I didn’t know what was going on so after about a minute I shut the computer down.

Upon trying to restart the computer I found that it couldn’t clear POST. Thinking the RAM may be bad, I put the old RAM back in the machine. It still wouldn’t clear POST. After a bunch of trouble shooting, I discovered that if I removed the video card (GeForce GTX 980ti) and installed an old video card (Quadro 2000) I could clear POST and boot into Windows. Now everything works (new RAM or old RAM) except the 980ti. For some reason this is not recognized.

When I turn on the computer the fans and lights come on for about 30 seconds, then there is a single short beep. In about another 30 seconds the short beep in repeated.

Things I have tried:

• Reset CMOS with reset button
  • Reset CMOS by pulling the battery (unplugged, cycled power button, etc.)
  • Went into Device Manager, viewed hidden items and tried to update drivers for the 980ti manually – it wouldn’t let me update the drivers unless the video card was first recognized.
  • I installed both video cards with the monitor plugged into the Quadro 2000, but when power went to the 980ti the computer would not clear POST.
  • I installed both video cards but did not fully power the 980ti (there are two 8-port plugs on top of the card that I left off). Windows does not recognize the card as being installed and just uses the Quadro 2000.
  • Moved 980ti to the other PCIe x16 slot.
  • Dropped the RAM down to two sticks (to reduce power) and plugged in the 980ti.
I’m at a loss. One short beep after 30 seconds is not a POST code for this HP. It seems everything on the computer works except the 980ti video card.

Is there a way I can test the video card? I don’t have another computer with the power required to run the card.

Any ideas of how to get the GTX 980ti to work again?
I am writing this post using the computer in question. Everything is working except this video card.

Original Specs
HP Z620
(2) Xeon E5-2660 8-core processors
Micron 32GB 4x8GB PC3-10600R
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
PSU 800w
GTX 980ti 6GB

Changes
RAM to Samsung 64GB 8x8GB PC3-12800R
Video Card to Quadro 2000
Most probably not problem with GPU but with Memory, if RAM is not working properly there will be problems or no display even with perfectly working GPU. Solve memory problems and GPU/display problem will be solved.

Jan 9, 2024
Most probably not problem with GPU but with Memory, if RAM is not working properly there will be problems or no display even with perfectly working GPU. Solve memory problems and GPU/display problem will be solved.
I like what you are thinking on this, however, the computer runs perfectly well by removing the GeForce GTX 980ti and installing a Quadro 2000 video card. I have run memory tests and found no errors. The POST clears, the OS runs, programs run without issue. It is only when I install the 980ti back on the system that the system will not pass POST and therefore will not enter BIOS or start the OS.

It seems if I can find a way to get the POST to accept the 980it, I could start troubleshooting with firmware, divers, slots, etc. but if it won't recognize the card at POST, I'm dead in the water.

Jan 9, 2024
What software did you use for benchmarking?

Also, do you have a spare PC to test the GTX 980ti?
I was attempting to use UserBenchmark. I used it before the RAM install and planned on using it after. I did open the program, but it went straight to the game after benchmarking. It was on this screen that the video card died. It would be interesting to see what actually caused the card to stop working, but more importantly, how can I get it to work again. Since it is not recognized in the BIOS or in Windows (won't pass POST or bootup with the 980-card installed) my troubleshooting options seem limited.

Unfortunately, I don't have another desktop that I can use to test the card. The only other machine I have access to is a small form factor and is too small to accept the card.

dave.rara66

Honorable
Dec 19, 2017
When you say you "turned off the computer", do you mean simply powering down, or properly disconnecting the power cord and hitting the power button several times after unplugging from a/c source to discharge all the capacitors?

If you didn't do this, you may have fried something in your 980.

Latest posts