Video editing / light gaming build for $600

erictian12

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
Hi, I have a $600 budget for building a video editing / gaming rig. I don't game that much, so the GPU won't be that important. I've already got some parts selected, but I was wondering if there were any better options. Note that I like to go with major brands such as Gigabyte, MSI, etc. Also, I'm not switching the processor to an AMD processor because AMD sucks. I only need the computer, I've got the peripherals, monitor, and OS ready.

Current part list:

CPU: Intel Core i3 4130 (dual core, 3.4 GHz with hyper-threading) ~ $130
MoBo: MSI B85-G41 PC Mate (picked this one cause it's got 4 RAM slots) ~ $80
RAM: 8GB of Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 (1600 MHz, don't intend to overclock) ~ $70
GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 650 Ti OC 1GB GDDR5 (will upgrade soon) ~ $130
HDD: WD Blue 1TB @ 7200 RPM ~ $60

The other parts I'm pretty flexible with, other than the case.
For the PSU, I want a modulated one around 430W.
As for the case, I'm pretty decided on the NZXT Source 210 or 220, either is fine. I like mid-tower cases that have neutral colors like gray, white, silver, black, etc. Note that it has be an ATX case because of my mobo. I don't want any weird port placements on the front. If you've seen the Fractal-Design Define R4, I want a case like that except at a lower price, around $50.
Any DVD reader/writer is fine, although I'd prefer one without any branding or logo.

If you've managed to assemble a good build with these parts and have a little money left over, I'd want the Hyper 212 EVO, but note this is a very small priority as far as the parts are concerned. I will not be doing any major overclocks.

Solution
Honestly, you're budget is a bit small for an Intel focused editing system. Trust me, once your video starts collecting some FX and length, that little I3 will start to bottleneck (my experience).

You said AMD sucks, but these days, they really don't. I've tested both and found not much difference, so for what you're doing and the budget range your putting on it, you'd be insane to not go with an AMD fx 63xx processor for the same price as your I3.

AMD Fx 63xx is the same price as the I3, but offers 3 physical cores + 3 virtual cores instead of the 2 physical / 2 virtual cores the I3 offers.

In my experience, I wouldn't touch adobe products with an I3 if it meant I got to keep my life. If we're talking Sony Vegas, you MIGHT be okay...

Hyper54

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
If I were you I would get at least a 600 watt power supply, especially if you plan on upgrading. I would recommend the Corsair CX 600 M, which is partially modular, the only cables that aren't modular are the Motherboard and CPU power connectors, which you'll need anyway. If you only want a 430 watt, Corsair makes a CX 430 M. It really depends on what you plan on upgrading to.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/406088/CX_Series_CX600M_600_Watt_ATX_Modular_Power_Supply

For video rendering, you may want to bump it up to an i5, depending on how much you will be doing. The other parts will be good.

Ryze

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
Honestly, you're budget is a bit small for an Intel focused editing system. Trust me, once your video starts collecting some FX and length, that little I3 will start to bottleneck (my experience).

You said AMD sucks, but these days, they really don't. I've tested both and found not much difference, so for what you're doing and the budget range your putting on it, you'd be insane to not go with an AMD fx 63xx processor for the same price as your I3.

AMD Fx 63xx is the same price as the I3, but offers 3 physical cores + 3 virtual cores instead of the 2 physical / 2 virtual cores the I3 offers.

In my experience, I wouldn't touch adobe products with an I3 if it meant I got to keep my life. If we're talking Sony Vegas, you MIGHT be okay. I haven't tested an I3 much in Sony Vegas. Anything beyond Vegas and maybe Adobe, I would consider the FX 63xx the bare minimum, preferable an I5 or FX 8k series.

Last time I used an I3 in Adobe was with 8 gigs of ram, a 7200 rpm drive, and a GT 630... After I got about 5 minutes worth of video with FX & Transitions, the processor started taking forever to load in more new clips and FX... and yes, it was the processor, not the ram.

Solution