VIDEO: Flash Running on Tegra 2 Android Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Means nothing until we hear how it affects battery.

And what kind of video in the Flash file? Probably mp4/h.264 so hardware acceleration can be used.
If that's true, why do i need it in a Flash container?

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
or in this video preview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hqFTx8rLsg

we see at around 35 seconds the browser crash while playing a flash version of youtube. The same one the iPad runs flawlessly in HTML5 :p

Let's not forget Adobe claims it runs flawlessy... let's see how that translates to real world use. And let's not forget that power draw/battery drain is one of the claims of Apple. Will be interesting to see how that holds up under intensive flash use VS html5 use.

ravicai

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
@ dannyaa

This is a prototype as your video clearly shows, so it's not surprising it still has a few kinks. For all you know it could have been the browser. At least somebody didn't leave this prototype in a bar...

G

I don't care if it looks just like ipad. as long as it doesn't bear the apple trademark or is in anyway putting money into steve job's several bank accounts- I'll take it.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
The 'ignoring' of flash was NEVER about battery life or stability, and ONLY about developer lock-in. Apple are petrified of people being able to write apps that will work on more than just the iFad of the day and be easily ported to other mobile devices.
Its the same thing that Sony has done/is doing with the nasty-ass development tools for the playstations. They are so bad that its a chore to get stuff going, let alone easily ported to other console systems.

reddragon72

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
The problem with HTML5 coding is that all it is new HTML tags. All it is is tags for ready to go encoded videos. I have a home site that runs WHS that uses a slightly modified Subsonic webpage for music that now plays video through the Flash player. The great thing is that is serves up my entire video collection because the player pulls from FFMpeg which transcodes on the fly so I don't have to redo my entire 2TB video collection. When trying to use HTML5 to do the same it simply failed because the tags will not work with a transcode stream or incomplete file. So all in all Flash player can do what I want and HTML5 cannot.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
I am no expert with flash or html5, but I tried to do video streaming with html5, trying to get the little project in a few hours, and could not figure out how to do it. Then, I ran into all the problems with choosing the video format, h.264, Ogg Theora, and there is another one. So, although I am for HTML5 because it is an open standard, I see flash as great technology for the next 5 years, and Adobe has being open-platform even supporting Linux.
Tegra is really exciting, it should give Intel a run for its money as it tries to enter the mobile market. And Intel should be worried. If the same story repeats-- x86 used to be the personal computer chip, and expensive SPARC chips where for mainframes and super computers, and now x86 dominates the PC and server market-- we may be buying ARM-based computers in the future with accelerated Tegra chips. After all, it is better to have 100's of cores with a small instruction set like ARM, than to have 12 or 24 cores with the kitchen sink.

Status
Not open for further replies.