Video Game Performance Bottlenecks

G

I have a fairly modern PC (Toshiba Satellite S55t-B5273NR) with an Intel Core i7-4710HQ CPU 2.5 GHz (4 cores, 8 threads) 16GB of overclocked R.A.M. (1866 MHz) and only Intel HD Graphics 4600. I think my processor and R.A.M. performance is sufficient enough to run a modern game at low demanding settings at least, but games still lag.

My question is, are the resources that a game needs so dependent on the graphics card that I need something better than my current graphics or do you think that with my current specs I should be able to at least run modern games in the lowest graphics settings possible?

I do not know much about gaming architecture (graphics cards, GPU, video R.A.M., etc.) seeing as I am not much of a gamer but I do know about CPU, R.A.M., storage, motherboard architecture and just about anything else not related to gaming so I can handle some technical explanation. Thanks in advance!

Mr_Venbeer

Reputable
May 11, 2014
Everything fine, you just need a dedicated graphics card. You are currently using your CPU's integrated GPU, which is crap. There are GPU's out there for under $200 like the AMD R9 270 which can run any modern game pretty well.
UPDATE: Oh yeah, forgot it's a laptop lol

You have a laptop, no discrete graphics card update is available for you.

What you can hopefully do do is go into the bios and dedicate more than the minimum system ram to the integrated graphics.

HD4600 is not at all bad and should be able to run some games reasonably well.

Run the windows experience index test and tell us what you see for 3d graphics.