Video Game Sales Fall for 6th Consecutive Month

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
ehem:

market analysts, let me explain to you the real world:

when someone buys a ps3, they aren't going to buy another one next year. and they DEFINITELY aren't going to buy another TWO next year!

eventually, everyone is going to have one... its diminishing returns, thats how it works, sales should drop off over time, but thats not how 'marketing world' works, they expect it to not only maintain, but grow over time...

just stupid.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Inquisitor Zax[/nom]Duh! In a time when a LOT of people are out of work, or worried about keeping their job, blowing income on video games is just outright stupid. People save up money, wait for a game they will really really like and buy that. None of us know what is coming in the next year of few, esp in the USA with all the new taxes coming down.[/citation]

I agree games have jsut gfotten to expensive to buy regularly i'll also add teh alst 6months haven't really seen any worth while titles released either. now as for taxes the lack of taxes is actually one of teh biggest woes to our economy , bush diod to many tax refunds in his years in office adn now the economy is suffering for it , on top of that we were ina state of war while he gave all teh free hand outs, that only coumpounded the problem.now don't get mewrong i love atax break as much as teh enxt person. however, our economy is hurt because out goverment spent way to much money , it wont recover until taxes come back up saddly.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Stiehl[/nom]It's very depressing reading all these comments from gamers who have no idea where to find good games....quite depressing actually. These past few years have had some quite good games that have LONG single player campaigns. GTA IV, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Little Big Planet, Dragon Age, Borderlands, Plants versus Zombies, Mass Effect 2. I point out super mario galaxy 2....its such a perfect game and such a masterpiece. Just looking at this one game proves gaming is not dead. In addition there have been some amazing multiplayer games: Team Fortress 2, L4D, BC2, SC2, MW2: all of which can suck up your time indefinitely. If you really want to enjoy gaming, get a nice PC (since xbox/ps3/pc have similar lineups) and a Wii (nintendo's holiday line up is a trip into the past; DK/Kirby/Goldeneye/Epic Mickey). You guys need to stop being cynical and grow YOUNG![/citation]

dont forget saints row 1 and 2 , dead rising the last three Tomb raider games (which were the best TR games ever) all these games had at least 20 hours to 30 hours of game play if not more.

i'd like to also note i played most those listed games on PC the TR games especially were great examples of what a consoel port to PC shoudl be , they played great on mouse and keybaord and gave you all the extra's that playing a pc game should (ie full customization of graphics for folks with worse or better hardware and full customization of the keys)

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Perhaps if they didnt go for our internal organs for the price of a game they may sell more. I'll be damned if I'll pay 60 bucks for most of the games out there.

tavix

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
I would pay more than 50$ for a game ONLY if it would have been better than the original DeusEx, Descent Freespace (1+2) or Syndicate. Yeah, those are oldies, but then again, I don't know any of today games that are better than those from ALL point of view, EXCEPT GRAPHICS! Maybe you know some others too...

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Does this mean the microtransaction model the producers have been telling us is what we want isn't selling well? People actually want the entire game when they buy it?

Nah, it must be all due to piracy.

L0tus

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Games I've played recently:

Baldurs Gate, Oblivion, Morrowind & SimCity 4

I'm not even hyped about SC2...total rip-off...no Toss/Zerg campaigns so it's not even a complete game...they say we should pay more because the content is better. NO YOU F*ING RETARDS! The content is SUPPOSED to be better regardless! ..and then there's the online registration...

...here's hoping D3 won't be ass.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
It's the economy things are getting worse not better as the government leads you to believe un-employment is higher than any other decade they hide it with extensions to UI.

G

When most of the games coming out are just guitar heroes and/or call of duties/fps clones who cares about gaming...you had seen it all already. Also the economy STILL in bad shape...no jobs no $ to spend on hobbies. I'm predicting a crash of sorts(by 2011-2012) like it happened back 1984 due to market saturation and lack of quality games. After this crash a renaissance of video games will make the industry reborn from the ashes like a phoenix !

sviola

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
[citation][nom]kronos_cornelius[/nom]I agree. It is hard to come by original games. I just buy about 2 games a year, but the price plus not being able to return it( on PC) if I don't like it makes me very cautious about new titles.Plus, I wanted to try Princ of Percia what ever the last title was, but the whole DRM thing prompt me to boicot it.Portal 2 on the other hand has me planning a hardware upgrade.[/citation]

Well, as a PC gamer, I usually buy games at Steam, and wait for some nice promotions (I got Left 4 Dead 2 two weeks ago for less than 7 dollars and have bought many others this way). Don't know if you use it, but Steam also does not have the DRM issues you get with retail versions (it does have DRM, but it usually does not give headaches to users - with the exception of Bioshock - and usually they update the games with the dev patches as soon as they're out).

sviola

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
[citation][nom]Regulas[/nom]Try these at a discount if you have not played them.NeverWinter Nights 2 Diamond edition (all expansion packs included)Oblivion Game of the Year edition, down side is you will have to hack the ini file to customize your mouse, not too hard.Then old school, Amazon has the Baldur's Gate series and Icewind Dale series (classics) for great prices. They work on my Win 7 64bit system.[/citation]

You can get the Baldur's Gate series at Good old Games (http://www.gog.com), they are quite unexpensive (I think they run for $5) and are DRM free. There's also plenty of other games available.

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
In other news Video gamers come to the conclusion that 60$ for pure junk that doesnt even run ISNT WORTH IT.. AMAZING.

I think this drives a large part of the pirating. I tried the demo of empire total war.. ran great.. plunked down 60$ and the dam AI is STILL busted and the game lags out after you get about 20 turns down.

this with a nvidia 460 SLI and 3.6ghz q6600.. the game is junk.

I'm sure many people were burned so people learn omg thats a news flash :p

Well what do you expect us all to just randomly buy a game hoping it will be good when you charge $60? Seriously, I never used to but today I don't even bother with a game if it didn't get amazing reviews. Who can afford to drop $60 all the time and end up with a couple bad ones. No body wants that so everyone likes to try it first or hear what others are saying before they buy. Plus StarCraft II is the only I've purchased in the last 6 months. I'm still playing through God of War Collection and Super Mario Galaxy 2.

stuckless

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
I'd like to not have to buy the "add-on that will allow me to keep up with the community" but sadly my local friends don't share the same idea.

It's a sad but true fact that a sizeable percentage of folks who have "disposable" income will not think twice about the 70(CAN) dollar price tag for the same game with a different skin. Meaning, they're excited about black ops even after knowing that its nothing new.

I on the other hand won't be buying it, AND am even rethinking my AC Brotherhood purchase since I don't believe that its anything new to the "story", more like an add-on.

Get back to the roots, I agree.

leakingpaint

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2007
I agree with many of the other comments - games are approaching the ridiculous price margin. While we can accept that games are costing large sums of money to make those titles are more than making their money back.

COD Black Ops is an example of a game I wanted to get but am reconsidering, Star Craft 2, probably Crysis 2, Rage, Diablo III all games that will break the bank and your pocket.

The remark "if you can't afford it then don't buy it" will see many companies experiencing hardships. Activision made a killing with MW2 - but months later the infighting, because of greed, is going to give them a serious headache.

Remember before when games came out? You really got some awesome packaging. Now buying games online is the same price as buying the physical media..what? "Special Editions" are the insane rip-off.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]joe gamer[/nom]In other news "Video game quality falls for the 6th month in a row, PC gamers still getting the shaft, are searching desperately for lube"[/citation]

Yet the studios keep on pushing the envelope of copypasta for their top-tier games... Seriously another CoD? MoH is a cheap BFBC2 knockoff.

If you want to survive, go back to the proven business model of producing quality games with no DLC or other kind of money grabbing gimmicks.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]Well what do you expect us all to just randomly buy a game hoping it will be good when you charge $60? Seriously, I never used to but today I don't even bother with a game if it didn't get amazing reviews. Who can afford to drop $60 all the time and end up with a couple bad ones. No body wants that so everyone likes to try it first or hear what others are saying before they buy. [/citation]

+1 on this.

I only pay full price on games if they're gifts. And even then I try to buy from Amazon when they are giving credit for future purchases. I'm a patient man and can wait a few months for prices to go down. And even after all this, I still have a backlog of games. So I don't miss the "latest and greatest" at all.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
I've been on an old game kick. Went to gamestop to find some of my popular titles that i wanted, games from 2004, 2006, 2008. So far nothing seems interesting on my 2010 list

randomizer

Champion

Revolutionary games don't come 3 times a year. They'd be lucky to come once every 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.