VIDEO: IBM's Supercomputer to go on Jeopardy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
[citation][nom]proxy711[/nom]Program it to search Wikipedia /gameover[/citation]

Wolfram Alpha does something similar by looking through vast amount of information to compute an answer

ecnovaec

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
a very very expensive machine that does something you could easily do with a laptop, voice recognition software, and google lol.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]ecnovaec[/nom]a very very expensive machine that does something you could easily do with a laptop, voice recognition software, and google lol.[/citation]Would you mind providing us with an example?

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]If it runs on Windows, it'll crash in the middle of the game.HAHAH jk, I love Windows. This is nice though, however you can't replace a brain (unless it's a veggy brain or a retard brain).[/citation]
Probably runs a customized version of Linux, like all of IBM's super/custom computers.

And I agree with mlopinto2k1, this is impressive (or at least very interesting)

tainted_peak

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
Think about having one of theses as a tutor or teacher. It would have so many uses in day to day life when questions arise that you can't seem to answer or explain.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
[citation][nom]ecnovaec[/nom]a very very expensive machine that does something you could easily do with a laptop, voice recognition software, and google lol.[/citation]

no, the AI has to analyze, verify, search, construct the appropriate answer to the question, then respond accordingly.

that solution of simply voice recognition, only brings up relevant information but no specific answer

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I'm not entirely impressed by this. When it boils down to it all it really does is search its hard drives that has been filled in with information from text books such as encyclopedias. It listens to the question likely takes those words and searches its database while also considers words with similar meanings.

For example the words backwards and reverse can often be interchanged with each other and a question or comment can still make perfect sense.
This computer is obviously just programmed to consider words similar by definition to help its understanding of what its asked and to find answers. It may have a selection of answers but picks what it chooses to have the highest % of being correct by relevance.

I can't help but compare it to a search engine and using a feature like google's "I'm feeling lucky" The only difference between it and a search engine is that it already has data in it rather than having to search the web for it.

G

For the folks saying this is easy they are clearly not understanding the significance of the challenge of answering a naturally spoken question by computer. "It's just a google search" is so far from the truth its not even funny. How many times have you been able to type into google a jeopardy like worded question (often with puns, similies, metaphors and nonsense words) and even anywhere on the first page gotten a direct answer to your question?

You can't. This computer is taking such a search to the next level, not only is it retrieving all related potential content to the questions potential keywords, but deciphering based on the question what a precise answer should be. Even googles evolved, complex, keyword tagging and searching doesn't come remotely close to what this is attempting to do. Failing to understand that shows a pretty significant ignorance of what computer technology can and can't do as it stands today.

It is, in fact, on the same level as the way Deep Blue changed the world of cognitive computing after it beat human opponents at chess. They are correct in asserting that this has a same level of significance. Is it true artificial intelligence? No. But you can bet some folks at Google are standing up and taking notice.

andrewcutter

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]I'm not entirely impressed by this. When it boils down to it all it really does is search its hard drives that has been filled in with information from text books such as encyclopedias. It listens to the question likely takes those words and searches its database while also considers words with similar meanings.For example the words backwards and reverse can often be interchanged with each other and a question or comment can still make perfect sense.This computer is obviously just programmed to consider words similar by definition to help its understanding of what its asked and to find answers. It may have a selection of answers but picks what it chooses to have the highest % of being correct by relevance. I can't help but compare it to a search engine and using a feature like google's "I'm feeling lucky" The only difference between it and a search engine is that it already has data in it rather than having to search the web for it.[/citation]

pardon me for saying this but we have an einstein here.... as for me this is the starting of skynet. if you think abt it that way our brain is also a search engine:D

kdashjl

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]One step closer to cyberdyne, but this time Arnie won`t be there to be back.[/citation]

[citation][nom]JasonAkkerman[/nom]After Jeopardy Watson will search for Sarah Connor.months[/citation]

i hope cameron save us

LMF5000

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
[citation][nom]proxy711[/nom]Program it to search Wikipedia /gameover[/citation]

That's only part of the challenge. It has to figure out what the host is asking, and then be able to pick out the answer from the article. It comes naturally for humans, but it's very hard to implement in software and needs lots of processing power.

G

--Removed-- Wrong topic, I guess I can read, I just choose not to. =_=

This is like THX1138, 1984, and Brave New World all in one machine with the possibility of the Hal 9000. I can see the spooks in Government and military buying these like Apple's fan boys do shiny things for use in building a "surveillance society".

The phones are bugged o_O like a wire but only worse.

requiemsallure

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
here is something, hook it up to a search engine and then you can search for answers with a question... yea you can already do that, but is it accurate? i don't know how many times i've asked google a question and it came up with nothing that i needed, just for me to find the answer to the question an hour or so later on google.

Status
Not open for further replies.