[VIDEO] IE9 Demoed on Ion 2-Powered Netbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan117

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
They're about to roll out ION 2 and I have yet to find a good ION 1 netbook at a good price (most are 170$ more than the Intel based versions, not 50$ like they said). Also I haven't seen one to use Core 2 Solo, it's 2x better Mhz for Mhz.
Got 34s in SuperPI 1M with a 1,4 Ghz Core 2 Solo, 11,6 inch netbook that was less than 500$, and my gaming PC (3 Ghz AMD dual core) got about 28s. I could almost play a source engine game(CSS) and Audiosurf with the Intel GPU.
If you combine that CPU with ION 2 you get one unstoppable netbook.

Arguggi

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
7 theme on the ION Netbook isn't set to Aero which can be quite resource demanding, comparison fail?

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]sunzeal[/nom]IE9 is gonna rock, hope it is faster, with faster tab browsing & yea FASTER.[/citation]
It is MUCH faster :D

You can download and install the IE9 preview here http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/

Jaseball

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Agreed dan117. Been looking for a decently priced Ion1 netbook for a year and then decided to hold off for the new Atom or the Core2 solo and then for Ion2 as well. The prices are way too high, so I went the opposite way and got a 17 inch I7 processor with Nvidia 230M video. This laptop is bulky, but it runs Modern Warfare 2, Bad Company, and other recent games with little trouble and the LED backed LCD screen is really nice as well.

Yeah, browsers using Direct2D are much faster than GDI ones. IE9 Dev. preview is.

So are current Firefox nightlies...

- To test IE9 preview: go here and download http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/
If you have Vista, you'll need SP2, the Platform Update and IE 8 installed.

- To test Firefox 3.7 nightlies: go here and download http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-trunk/
Same as IE 9, you'll need Vista SP2 + Platform Update (but not IE 8). You also need to go in about: config, switch gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.enabled to true, and mozilla.widget.render-mode to 6.

Warning: if you normally use older versions of Firefox, the last setting will have to be reverted or you'll get blank pages.

outacontrolpimp

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
Wait.... We have the underpowered laptop running the resource intensive windows 7 aero on the left. And on the right... we have a much bigger laptop, probably more ram, faster processor ect, also running a less resource heavy windows 98 theme.

Can we fair comparison and not this bs. I hate marketing that uses pathetic ways to edge over competition/products

G

Great, low power net-books, which means longer battery life!

sailfish

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
That marketing manager was a real rascal at heart. His imitated frustration with the non-gpu-aware netbook during asteroids was classic funny!

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
This comparison is a complete scam, the Ion's netbook has all the environment graphics set off, and the Intel's one is full glass.
That's not a fair comparison.
I do agree that Netbooks could use a fair increase in gpu power, I own one, and watching online videos it's not as smooth as i would like. But the Ion's platform is too expensive against average Netbook's prices

Status
Not open for further replies.