VIDEO: John Carmack's QuakeCon 2011 Keynote

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenixkane

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
Anyone know where we can find the Q&A section of the keynote? It got cut off at the end of this video.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Sounds like the 360 and PS3 have really slowed down development of the game. They should have released the PC version first and then ported to console.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
He may be a coding genius but that's all he is. Carmak doesn't MAKE the ENTIRE GAME. He works on the back of it, making it strong.

And for FFFFFFFFFF sake! Shut up about how happy you are watching people play your game man. I can't sit through 20 min of just just talking on and on and on about that.

Anyone got cliffnotes of this?

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]Through out all of this I just couldn't but help notice how horribly he has aged.[/citation]He's only 40. I think the lighting and YouTube conversion makes him look worse.

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
I enjoyed every second of it, understood it all, and could only imagine if he had more time to talk. He could have stretched everything he talked about another couple of hours, and I would have been there to hear him talk. It would have been nice to also have the Q & A in this video, but I bet that is another hour ;)

It should be no surprise to anyone that consoles have slowed many things down in the game industry, but it also shows what genius people can do and how they have worked around many things to overcome the problems of working in a limited environment.

I also loved how he talked about the plus's and minus's of both the PC and consoles. It was very interesting to hear about how the game data is actually handled on both platforms (knew pretty much, but not all, but hearing it come out of his mouth was just awesome). Can't wait for the day PC's don't have the overhead they do today. It was also awesome to hear the breakdowns between the 360 and PS3. Can you only imagine a gaming platform with the power of a current PC (today or later) with pretty much no overhead like a console? ;)

RAGE is going to be an awesome experience no matter what platform you play it on, and can't wait to play it on my PS3. No gaming rig to speak of at this point in time in my life :'( But that time will be again soon :)

Whoever says PC gaming is dying/dead, needs to rethink it. While I do agree that it has slowed a bit with this current generation of consoles, I have some strange feeling in the next 5-10 years it's going to be bigger than it ever was :D Don't quote me on that though :)

Thank you Mr. Carmack, you always keep my faith in PC gaming :)

ano

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]BulkZerker[/nom]He may be a coding genius but that's all he is. Carmak doesn't MAKE the ENTIRE GAME. He works on the back of it, making it strong. And for FFFFFFFFFF sake! Shut up about how happy you are watching people play your game man. I can't sit through 20 min of just just talking on and on and on about that. Anyone got cliffnotes of this?[/citation]

Dear Lord! another clueless troll! WTF is wrong with you?! what's your problem?! WHAT THE F ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!!!

"He may be a coding genius but that's all he is", ok!!! so what's wrong with being a "coding genius"?! Since when being a "genius" and an engineer is a bad thing?! and who are you?! what have you achieved yourself in your life?! i mean, besides trolling around on the internet!

get a life kiddie!

ano

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]campb292[/nom]The has been needs to shave his arms.[/citation]

hmmm... so you shave your arms, right?! you know that's kinda lame! that's a female thing to do! dont do it, and if you do, dont tell your male friends!

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
I don't care about the haters, John is still one of the guys pushing things forward. rage might not be on the top of visual eyecandy, but the foundation is very solid. It's like he says: the code will last years, and that's where id gets its money. I just hope they go all out on doom 4!

kikireeki

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]Sounds like the 360 and PS3 have really slowed down development of the game. They should have released the PC version first and then ported to console.[/citation]
Actually, the PC version has caused him more headaches as he declared later in the speech.

cypeq

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
I want his head in the jar futurama style :)
He is innovative most of games from id bring some interesting revolutionary technology. Taking that effort is amazing in the times when you can output very fast halfbaked product using all this available sdk's.
People like him are artists amongst programmers.

[citation][nom]vir_cotto[/nom]I wonder what little bit was cut out? 1:26:31 to 1:26:32 seems to skip a bit.[/citation]

Q&A obviously

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Always interesting to listen to. Odd though that he said they weren't able to use dual layer Blu-rays when other devs have been for years now. Not expecting much from the PS3 version of this game to be honest, especially when he mentioned only having half the RAM on PS3.
There is most definitely 512MB of RAM available on PS3 (256MB XDR @ 3.2Ghz and 256MB GDDR2 @ 700Mhz), but only the GPU memory can be shared with CPU memory, and not vice versa.
This is not as big a problem as some people complain about seeing as how its slowest RAM is still the same clock speed as what's in the 360. The advantage on the 360 is twice the shader units and 10MB of EDRAM.
However, most if not all 1st party PS3 devs use the Cell for the majority of graphics functions, especially post processing, which relieves some of the bottlenecks between memory buses.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I thoroughly enjoyed it... i always like hearing from someone who wants to do his coding the best way possible.

The entire industry moved too fast for me to keep track of but I am glad he was able to do it.

I liked the video...all of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.