Video playback stutters/laggy on multiple media players randomly

cornered_fox

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Hello,
I am using VLC and Combined Community Codec Pack as my main media players for video playback, and randomly, usually every 30 seconds or so, the video stutters for around 5 seconds (everything moves in jitters and slowmotion, very laggy, the sound stays normal though), then returns back to normal. Another 20 - 30 seconds pass, and it does it again. If I click back to see the parts that stuttered first, they plays fine and smooth, but then some other part of the video will stutter in a few seconds. Some of the videos even have low resolution like 480p and this problem still happens, so it's not because my system cannot handle the file sizes or resolution.

I tried increasing the File Caching in VLC to 1000ms (from 300ms) but it didn't make a difference. The same videos work perfectly on my 2 laptops (which are much weaker than this system), this is happening on my gaming rig.

Specs in case they are useful:
i7-4790 Haswell
GTX 980Ti
32 GB RAM

Anyone have any idea? :/ Thanks for any advice.

Solution
So I did a stress test with Furmark, at 1920x1080 fullscreen it was 101 fps, on windowed 155 fps. I left it for an hour. I assume those results are good?

A friend told me about a media player called Splash by Mirillis. I gave it a shot and it works! The occasional lagging is gone :) Only problem is I have quite a few WebM files and JPSmile files, and Splash doesn't support those file types :/ The common formats like AVI, MP4, MKV are working perfectly though :)

gbb0330

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

7% CPU ?

did you look at the other metrics: memory, disk, network?

cornered_fox

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Yes, they look fine. Disk was sometimes going up to 3MB/Sec, but other than that everything else was barely moving. The only thing that came to attention was the System Interrupts under CPU.

gbb0330

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

try defragmenting the hard drive

cornered_fox

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Hello, I managed to solve the problem by setting a custom refresh rate in Nvidia Control Panel. I set it to 60.001 Hz (I need to do this for some games to keep a constant 60 fps), and this solved the video issue :) It only works on VLC though, media playback with CCCP is still laggy. Thank you for your help gbb0330, guess I'll stick with VLC.

cornered_fox

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Unfortunately, the problem above is back :( The lagging today was prevalent, even with the 60.001 Hz trick. Any ideas?

Is there a program I could use to check if my graphic card is faulty? I have been having video related problems with this new build since day one.

cornered_fox

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
So I did a stress test with Furmark, at 1920x1080 fullscreen it was 101 fps, on windowed 155 fps. I left it for an hour. I assume those results are good?

A friend told me about a media player called Splash by Mirillis. I gave it a shot and it works! The occasional lagging is gone :) Only problem is I have quite a few WebM files and JPSmile files, and Splash doesn't support those file types :/ The common formats like AVI, MP4, MKV are working perfectly though :)

Solution