Discussion Video production best Mac model

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reputable
Oct 18, 2016
I am looking to upgrade my laptop to a high spec model from windows to Mac OS. I am looking at Mac specifically because there are plugins for Adobe Premiere Pro which I use which are only compatible with Mac OS. I do understand that I will have to push the budget out of a Mac and I would be glad to do so for a high spec model that will make my life easier in terms of video production.
I understand the Imac will be more powerful than the laptop but I need to commute so the laptop is the only option. My question is regarding the graphics card and processors. I am not to familiar with either but I want to know what is the difference between a Radeon Pro 450 with 2GB memory and Radeon Pro 455 with 2GB memory and would the difference even be noticeable and would I even notice the difference between a 2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor and 2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor.

Here are the specs of the models.

A)15-inch MacBook Pro
2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor
Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
16GB 2133MHz memory
512GB PCIe-based SSD1
Radeon Pro 455 with 2GB memory
Four Thunderbolt 3 ports
Touch Bar and Touch ID

B)15-inch MacBook Pro
2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor
Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz
16GB 2133MHz memory
256GB PCIe-based SSD1
Radeon Pro 450 with 2GB memory
Four Thunderbolt 3 ports

There is a difference of 500 Euro between A and B
The storage would not be an issue for me as I have multiple external hard drives all over 2TB.

From where I am looking B seems to be the better option as I don't see much of a difference. There again I'm not an expert. I am not a professional in video production but I do a lot editing for various projects on YT and Vimeo etc.

On top of that I will also be using the Mac for some on the side programming so Mac seems to be my choice.
I would appreciate anyone's input and suggestions. Of course Apple will tell me to go for option A :) but then again they there is money in their eyes.

Thanks in advance

Since you're not concerned with the internal storage, then you'd see no real difference between the two assuming the 2.6 and 2.7Ghz CPUs are of the same generation. If you can apply that 500 euro difference in to upgrading the RAM capacity, that may make a difference if you start doing very large projects.

As for the Radeon Pro 450 vs 455, since you're primarily using it for Premiere you're not going to notice a huge difference. There is some GPU acceleration that it will take advantage of, but by and large the program is CPU bound. Adobe doesn't list the GPU part of its supported list, but that's likely just due to online materials getting up dated as I don't see Adobe not working with whatever Apple puts in its laptops.

Reputable
Oct 18, 2016

Thanks for your input. At the moment I am editing a 4-5 minute video but there are from 60-80 different clips in 1080 resolution mp4. The editing alone at a fast work rate is time consuming so a monthly time frame per each video is the goal. I exported last month a clip to vimeo which was 4 minutes in length which took about 4 and a half hours to convert and export. (windows dual core E6600 - I know :( )In the process my desktop was slow to the extent I didn't even try and use it while exporting from adobe. The final size at 1080 resolution was 430mb. Previous videos are on average 550-650mb. There are some other smaller projects I am working on but nowhere near the size or complexity of this one. I can honestly say that I will not for the foreseeable future but undertaking larger projects as time constraints limit me. For the time being I think the 16gb ram should suffice but I can always upgrade at a later stage if the projects get larger.

Your input is greatly appreciated

Reputable
Oct 18, 2016

I have also been told by Apple support that the mac book pro cannot be upgraded to 32 bg ram only the Imacs, 16gn ram is the largest the mac book pros will go :(

Seriously? Their top end laptops only go to 16GB?

Normally I don't try and talk someone out of one platform or another but... holy crap. Are you sure you HAVE to go with OSX? For the money you're putting in to this thing, your getting mid range performance out of a top end price bracket.

Status
Not open for further replies.