VIDEO: Quake 3 Running on Tiny, Little Raspberry Pi

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
[citation][nom]gallidorn[/nom]This could be the cheapest way to build a HTPC.[/citation]

Unless it has dedicated video decoding hardware, you aren't going to be decoding HD video on it. Old SD Divx stuff maybe, but that's not very useful.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Those are definitely not playable frameates...It only look somewhat playable because it's demo running so the playing is well done and things are getting shot.

Secondly how is that 1080p with that HUGE UI? Can you set the size of the UI inside of Quake? I mean that looked like some upscaled low resolution.

gallidorn

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]gallidorn[/nom]Since this is linux based and can perform at 1080p... I could see myself buying one of these and putting XBMC on it and taking advantage of the USB port with a 2TB hard drive filled with movies. This could be the cheapest way to build a HTPC.[/citation]

Even if it couldn't handle HD video, I could use it to run emulators or as a Onlive console. I've been able to get Onlive to run on an old 1GHz laptop in Ubuntu (through Wine). Only problem is getting my xbox360 controller to work, but by the time the Raspberry Pi is available, Onlive may be available on linux.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
People are focusing on the low points, this isn't intended to run Quake 3 they probably ran the game so the device would get news coverage on gaming sites and raise awareness. This device is even a great option for schools, each can be equipped with one easily it would save thousands and for poorer areas.

fixxxer113

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]It would probably do much better without 4xAA. I also remember running Quake 2 on a P2-450 with dual Voodoo2 at 90fps and that system couldn't run Q3 at more than 30 fps. I upgraded to a P3-800 with a TNT2 32mb to get the 90 FPS you speak of. I'm pretty sure you're getting your games mixed up. Also, don't forget you paid a shitload for your computer. If this thing is really $35, then it is very impressive. Especially considering the failed $100 laptop project.[/citation]

I'm not getting anything mixed up. Don't forget that Quake 3 was optimized for OpenGL and Nvidia cards and voodoo cards couldn't run it as fast. Also, overclocking your card back then (witch I did), could give you 10+ more fps. On the other hand, i couldn't play unreal tournament on my rig even on the lowest settings and the lowest possible resolution while i had seen it play really good on a 300mhz Celeron but with a voodoo 3 card.

And the price doesn't matter (although 35$ is impressive) ... What matters is that it's a really outdated game running on NEW hardware. Even a SoC would run it fairly well nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS