[SOLVED] Video showing through GPU just fine but GPU isn't being used or detected

Pepsii

Reputable
May 13, 2016
Hi i'm working on an emulator build right now and using an older pc adding a new psu to handle a gtx 960 im putting in it, currently everything works fine but the gpu isn't being detected even though the video cable (HDMI) is being run from the graphics card to the monitor. How is it possible that the video is displaying but the graphics card is not being detected? PC i'm upgrading in advance https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01616202

Solution
Did your new power supply have an 8pin or 6+2 pin PCIe power cord so you can power the 960 and did you connect it?
I don't work with W10 but it can't be to diff. from 7 re. hardware. Have you done a clean install of Nvidia Drivers? The mother board has onboard video (not the CPU, the mobo) and if so did you disable it in the BIOS?
Try those two things first and let us know if it corrected the problem.
Did your new power supply have an 8pin or 6+2 pin PCIe power cord so you can power the 960 and did you connect it?
I don't work with W10 but it can't be to diff. from 7 re. hardware. Have you done a clean install of Nvidia Drivers? The mother board has onboard video (not the CPU, the mobo) and if so did you disable it in the BIOS?

Solution

Pepsii

Reputable
May 13, 2016
Now the psu isn't being turned on when plugged into the motherboard so I think the mobo is fried, Tested psu with a paperclip worked fine.