VIDEO: Sony's Version of Microsoft's Surface Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
I was thinking about it and this, while packaged differently, is something that has been around for over 13 years. I remember going to a star track exhibit and being "teleported" to another world. I would move around and smash falling rocks on a big screen. Basically this is doing the same thing, but with a better computer and some additional recognition sensitivity. This is most likely going to be outrageously expensive and I'm not sure why, the most expensive part will be the projector...maybe, just maybe the actual table part will be expensive too. The cost of the Microsoft Surface is 10k, unless it's gone down since 07, which considering it's a computer, a camera and a projector, is overpriced, kind of like an Apple product. Maybe if there is competition the prices will go down. I'd like to see it so you could hook up your own computer and install software to run the device. I believe that would help decrease the costs.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
"Built in conjunction with Sony ISS and Atracsys, the table uses two Sony cameras to create a 3D image; these cameras track body movements, acting on changes in the position of your body, arm, hand or finger."
So the 3D effect only works for about 1 person/point of view?

G

2 cameras to determine body movement... i heard this one somewhere.... doesn't natal uses two cameras albeit it slightly differently....

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
I tell you our future generations are going to be spoiled rotten with technology and I am jealous. I see these touch screen devices being used and built into the home everywhere in decades to come. For those of you who are stuck in cubicles imagine every surface having this technology implemented and interconnected freeing up your desk and adding a larger workspace in the process. I think Bill was right when he said he wants computerized everything in the home and work 10 years ago.

2zao

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
AWESOME TIMES WE LIVE IN

VISUAL/ 3D / TOUCH technology is on its way to the being used by everyone...

even those who cant afford it in their homes will start seeing stuff like this in stores and companies they deal with everyday...

---------------------

things are REALLY starting to resemble the scifi stuff we all saw in the movies and read about as kids...

-----------------------------

our kids will think the same if you read SCIFI books from this era...

technology is only going to go as far as the imagination can bring it

THIS is why SCIENCE FICTION is usually actual predictions of the future of technology

Status
Not open for further replies.