[SOLVED] Video surveilance software?

TheFitz227

Honorable
Jul 16, 2015
Hi I'm looking for a video surveilance software thats free to monitor a room that notifies me when sensing a trespasser. I use windows on my computer, what are my options?

Solution
If its an IP camera, you can open it up and see if it has a spot for a small memory card (most newer IP cameras do). And you can use a small SD card to record footage to (altho the SD cards will only get you a few days of recording depending on the resolution of the camera.....which can be adjusted).

If you are trying to catch an intruder in a room....and that's ALL your trying to do. You don't necessarily need recording functionality, you would just be utilizing the motion detection feature to send you a notification when it detects motion (altho recording is always highly recommended, that way you actually have EVIDENCE of the intrusion).....but ...depending on the model camera.....lots of cameras have motion detection built in...

pathos3727

Honorable
Sep 22, 2017
SmartPSS, VMS by Geovision, NVMS7000, NVMSv3, there are ones on android and iPhone as well.
What is your brand of camera, is it an IP camera? Analog? DVR? NVR? or memory card?

EDIT UPDATE:
Most of the time different brands are not all compatible with the same software. Certain brands are only compatible with specific softwares.
brand and model camera and what is it connected to?

pathos3727

Honorable
Sep 22, 2017
If its an IP camera, you can open it up and see if it has a spot for a small memory card (most newer IP cameras do). And you can use a small SD card to record footage to (altho the SD cards will only get you a few days of recording depending on the resolution of the camera.....which can be adjusted).

If you are trying to catch an intruder in a room....and that's ALL your trying to do. You don't necessarily need recording functionality, you would just be utilizing the motion detection feature to send you a notification when it detects motion (altho recording is always highly recommended, that way you actually have EVIDENCE of the intrusion).....but ...depending on the model camera.....lots of cameras have motion detection built in, and it can be accessed and configured via the Web Interface of the camera itself.

The programs that you would use in windows 10, that interface with the camera, would most likely be smartPSS, that's been the most universal I have found to work with. Altho depending on the brand, again, it can have compatibility issues and maybe one feature will not work.

If it is an analog camera on a DVR, i.e. (TVI,CVI, AHD, HD-Coax..etc) then the motion detection would be in the DVR menu under storage schedule or something similar.

Lots of DVRs, NVR's, and IP cameras also under the OSD (on screen display) settings in the configuration menu...have the option to set motion area as well, that way, if there is a tree that moves on the left side of the picture, it wont be sending you notifications all day long that it is detecting motion.

Either way, wether its an IP camera or an analog camera (on a dvr or other setup)…….the device ultimately will have to be connected to your local network, and configured accordingly to work in (your) network scheme. Once connected to the network, most devices will have a built in cloud P2P feature or DDNS or some type of cloud based service,that would have to be setup so that it can be viewed remotely away from your home (i.e. windows 10 laptop, android device, apple device)….

If you are just trying to view the camera over your home network with a desktop computer...that stays on your local network....then you can just set it up locally via the local IP address, (i.e. 192.168.1.108), username and password. This is true for smartPSS and most other video management softwares out there.

Solution