VIDEO: User Crams 16 TB into SFF Case

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]WR[/nom]Won't troll but rather correct you. He disassembled the entire thing to clean and paint it before putting it back together with the real drives. Shavings large enough to cause shorts would be rather visible.Fortunately those are "green" drives. A 140mm fan pumping the underside vents should be enough to remove the[/citation]

I watched part two, Green editions or not when there is 8 at once there is going to be heat issues so just wait till summer he will see. Second air flow with in the cabinet isn't to good. 140mm fan or not it is how flows with in the cabinet sure there is some vents on the under side but hard drives are not that good passively cooled and so typically pass the heat through the case but with 8 drives that causes a cooling issue. Flat featureless plate isn't the best heat sink unless it is think and extends well beyond the heat source.

i think he should have gotten some sata connectors and make the drives easier to come out if one dies

though i wish i had the tools for this kind of work, wouldn't mind having a physical project to work on

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Spanky Deluxe[/nom]I hope he's using a decent raid setup because those disks may fail a little early what with all the metal dust and sparks he blew at them while cutting metal etc for the case![/citation]

He end up using a whole new collection of HDDs, I though the same that you, but at the end he used other drives, I think he was just using old non-working drives or something, still the motherboard it was the same ;X

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]dj1001[/nom]this guy is a cool dude and does alot of his own video work.he probably needs that storage for his HD video[/citation]
I like his videos, great camera work and he is pretty inventive, and obviously loves what he does there, I would kill for that kind of setup to work witth.

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
Man this guy is priceless for startup company or if you need some custom build equipment. He is real Craftsman! :) I have done some similar work, but nothing at this scale!

The only problem ( or feature ) I see is the overall weight. Notice he made custom feet from aluminum sheet. The main case was made from steel. This will survive any earthquake if has an accelerometer to park the heads quickly.

For people referring about the "heat-problem" I think he has done his homework very well. He has selected WD Green drives. They don't produce as much heat as normal HDD. Second he left about 3mm between the drives. He had very good ventilation wholes on the bottom of the unit and very good flow path. The big steel case and thick hdd mouthing plates will provide additional cooling.

You need real passion to start and finish job like this one.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I'm not sure if he has enough tools--clearly, he needs some more tools.
*sarcasm*

But in all reality, that guy has more tools than my local high school's shop classroom. Wonderful work he did there (nice video producing as well).

aneasytarget

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
You can tell he is working in an auto body shop, there are different cars in the background.

The only thing is, if a drive fails, sort of have to take the thing apart to replace the drive. Not an easy option.

Would like to have seen what the matrox front display is used for.

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
Yeah i saw this build on a forum and thought it was amazing, and yes the guy said it has redundancy so it would be less than 16tb.

micky_lund

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]Wow. I wished I had the engineering know-how for doing this.[/citation]
and the tools... both would cost $1000s to learn, and get

in0va3

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
Looks very professional and cool. Was the end of part II the same case? Cause it looks black or was it painted? And why were there different hard drives from the end of Part II and the hdds from part I?

jokemeister

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I admire the guys project skills in putting this together but OMG..!! No static handling precautions, welding right next to the drives, throwing grinding sparks/metal dust etc. directly on the HDD's etc. It's a wonder it ever got running in the first place. If you're going to do this sort of thing, do yourself a favor and DON'T ever treat your hardware like he did. Also, is it just me or is everything in that workshop brand new. I'm jealous, no doubt about it.

wow, did half of you guys not even watch the second video, the drives in the first one are old drives, the second video shows him getting the 8 new 2TB WD Green's, a laptop WD 320GB and an SSD

dizz01

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Zoemayne---that was stupid. Jokemeister---Those hard drives he's working with are just ones so he knows how big. Look at the 2nd video, it explains it. Duuuuh why would he have that kind of gear and not know what you obviously do know even tho you have an IQ of a Donkey.

Status
Not open for further replies.