VIDEO: Windows Home Server ''Vail'' Beta

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

babybeluga

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
... this subject has been milked dry ...

... it was a udder-ly ridiculous in the first place ...

... I'm going to moo-ve along now ...

On a more related note, this article should have been titled, "Microsoft has un'vail'ed its new version of Windows Home Server"

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
I disagree. WHS is very easy to use and is also cheaper ($100). Setting up what and when to backup is a lot easier than normal desktop OS, as are the media streaming functions. Anyways, I would get Windows 7 and use the home group function before I used Vista. I would also point out WHS is less than 4 GB...

Why on earth would I buy Vista that is usually more expensive, more complicated, and more of a resource hog over WHS?

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
snoooooooooze. I couldn't watch more than a minute of that boring video. How about actually doing a little work on an article and write a summary instead of just plopping a friggin video in.

BlueCat57

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I can't imagine anyone with a home server with less than a terabyte of storage, and probably much more. The 160GB is like the 1GB of RAM. That's the minimum needed to run the OS. Who builds a 64-bit system with 1GB of RAM?

I still can't figure out what the difference between a server and a network is.

I have four systems and use Windows 7 for my home network. Granted I don't rip DVDs to my hard drive to share over the network. And I get choppy playback when I try to stream media over the network. But I can't see how a home server will improve the playback.

Is the way I use (or more accurately NOT use) my home network so different from the vast majority of home users? Is Windows Home Server targeted at a very limited segment of users? Or am I the one missing the boat?

I know quite a few techie types and my home network is more advanced than nearly all of theirs. I don't know anyone that even talks about networking their computers at home. So I wonder who actually buys and uses WHS.

I back up from one computer to another. Have RAID 0 on my "server." I'm still trying to work out the kinks in the back up from my laptop to my "server" but that is more a question of how much time it takes to do the back up than whether it works or not.

I synch files from system to system so even if one is shut down I have a current version available. And Home Group is working great for everything else. Printing isn't always perfect (the system the printer is attached to goes to sleep) but I know that I can just buy a printer with wired or wireless networking to solve that problem.

So the questions remains: Why use WHS? And, how many people actually use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.