[SOLVED] VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE Then no Post

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adamgeo66

Reputable
Nov 2, 2017
Hi, I was on my computer playing a game when all of a sudden my computer blue screened with the VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE error. After looking it up, the usual cause is outdated drivers (I needed to update my drivers, I haven't done it in a few months) or intensive GPU usage (like I said, playing a game.) After turning my PC back on to update my drivers, it wouldn't post. Another thing to add, is that my AIO wasn't lighting up with the rest of my PC, but it did seem to be functioning. After doing some google searching I couldn't really figure out what the issue was, so I decided to reseat my CPU, all the cables connected to my AIO, and my GPU. Now, only my ram lights up, it doesn't post, and the EZ-Debug light for DRAM on my motherboard is on. I tried reseating my ram to no avail, and I couldn't find anything about my issue online. I've never had a problem like this before. Does anyone know what to do?

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x
GPU: RTX 3080 FE
MOBO: MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus
AIO: NZXT Kraken x73
RAM: TridentZ RGB 2x16G 3200Mhz

adamgeo66

Reputable
Nov 2, 2017
Sounds like the right plan.
Hi, sorry for the late update. I borrowed a GPU, and when putting it in my motherboard, I got the same result. For some reason, my first thought after this was to try the other PCI-E slot. Not only did the PC post, it booted into my NVMe drive! I took the borrowed GPU out and put in my GPU, and it just works. The second slot is also x16, so I’m just going to leave it in there. Thank you so much for your help!

Your second x16 PCIe slot only supports x4 mode, so you not going to get full performance out of your graphics card that way. If the primary PCIe slot doesn't work then there is a problem with the motherboard. Are you still using the old motherboard or are you using the new one you purchased after this problem began? If you are having this same problem with both boards, but the problem resolves when only using the graphics card in x4 mode, then there is a problem with the graphics card or you are exceeding the number of lanes available to the system which is unlikely unless you have a lot of drives installed and all of the PCIe expansion slots.

The majority of the time, this is either a motherboard or CPU problem, because both can have an effect on the PCIe bus and lane operation, but I guess we really need to know which board you are using AND it would be really helpful to know if this problem with the primary PCIe x16 slot happens on both boards, or just one? It's more work I know, but if you want it to work right it might be rather important to do this. If you are ok with it only working at x4 speeds, which will drastically reduce graphics card performance while doing any kind of demanding gaming, then that is your call.

adamgeo66

Reputable
Nov 2, 2017
Your second x16 PCIe slot only supports x4 mode, so you not going to get full performance out of your graphics card that way. If the primary PCIe slot doesn't work then there is a problem with the motherboard. Are you still using the old motherboard or are you using the new one you purchased after this problem began? If you are having this same problem with both boards, but the problem resolves when only using the graphics card in x4 mode, then there is a problem with the graphics card or you are exceeding the number of lanes available to the system which is unlikely unless you have a lot of drives installed and all of the PCIe expansion slots.

The majority of the time, this is either a motherboard or CPU problem, because both can have an effect on the PCIe bus and lane operation, but I guess we really need to know which board you are using AND it would be really helpful to know if this problem with the primary PCIe x16 slot happens on both boards, or just one? It's more work I know, but if you want it to work right it might be rather important to do this. If you are ok with it only working at x4 speeds, which will drastically reduce graphics card performance while doing any kind of demanding gaming, then that is your call.
Damn, I thought I was done! The issue with the first slot was only found on the new board, but the issue when first trying the new board with the same hardware configuration as the old board produced the same exact problem, with no difference in debug lights or the point in the boot process the computer would restart. When I get home today I'm going to try putting the NVMe drive in M2_2, with the GPU in PCIEX16_1. With the GPU and NVMe drive, I'm using up all the available PCIe lanes, but I have no other devices installed that I can think of that would use any more PCIe lanes. If you know of anything that may take up PCIe lanes that I can't think of, please share. If the issue seems to be with the CPU, which is out of warranty, and I have to replace it, would you recommend I get the same CPU but new for $270, or the 5900x for $370?

I would do this whole thing on the bench/countertop/table and try the old board as well to see if you have the same problem with the primary x16 slot.

adamgeo66

Reputable
Nov 2, 2017
I would do this whole thing on the bench/countertop/table and try the old board as well to see if you have the same problem with the primary x16 slot.

After testing with both boards, I’m getting the same results. However I think I may know the problem component. Before, when I tested a borrowed GPU, it wouldn’t boot in the first slot, but it would in the second, just like mine. This makes me think it’s the CPU. Also, I did manage to get to windows a couple times with the GPU in the first slot, but it was low resolution and the GPU had the error code 43 in device manager. I opened GPU-Z, and it said it was running at pcie 1.1 with x8 lanes. Another small thing of note is that moving the SSD between slots doesn’t affect the outcome at all.

Well, it sucks that you had to replace the CPU, but great that the problem is resolved. I'd be sure to RMA the old CPU if it is still under warranty (Ryzen CPUs have a three year warranty) so that you have it as either a backup or could sell it to offset some of the cost of the 5800x.

adamgeo66

Reputable
Nov 2, 2017
Well, it sucks that you had to replace the CPU, but great that the problem is resolved. I'd be sure to RMA the old CPU if it is still under warranty (Ryzen CPUs have a three year warranty) so that you have it as either a backup or could sell it to offset some of the cost of the 5800x.
Unfortunately, its just about 2 months out of warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.