blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
windows 8.1
motherboard Z97-HD3 rev 2.0
i7-4790K (never overclocked)
SSD
GTX 1050ti 4GB

The other day I cleaned all my tower case fans and internal fans, took the Cryorig H7 CPU cooler fan apart, cleaned the gpu fans as well but didn't take GPU apart. Had to take the H7 off the CPU for a few minutes but seated it back correctly it seems. CPUID hardware monitor shows temperatures are fine (and cooler since cleaning fans) so I am pretty sure everything was put back correctly.

But then getting videos freezing. Only way to fix is Chrome setting toggle Hardware Acceleration and then Relaunch. Then it'll happen again. Sometimes I loose sound, I have a ~$40 Roland Duo capture USB audio interface which has given me problems sometimes. I basically have to unplug it and re plug it and it usually resolves. I have a
Tek Republic TUH-3710 USB 3.0 7-Port Hub with Power Adapter
https://www.amazon.com/Tek-Republic...01N0RCSA9/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

which also gives me problems sometimes and might be part of the cause, Often it doesn't find my ~$125 ikbc keyboard when booting and have to unplug and re plug (which doesn't happen if keyboard plugged directly to motherboard USB), the audio interface is also connected to this USB hub.

Any suggestions?

Have also gotten some blue screen errors from time to time and decided to finally upgrade/replace RAM, actually here's my thread I only just checked it now thinking I would get RAM suggestions but was suggested maybe it's driver issues which it DOES seem to be driver related, so just run memtest86 as suggested here:?
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...error-hard-restart-recommend-new-ram.3596551/

strange though is I cleaned PC and put it all back together the same way (all I disconnected was the GPU and plugged it back in normally so it's strange that all of a sudden getting videos freezing. We've been having internet choke problems also recently even though we have basically the fastest internet you can buy but that seems to have stopped (lag etc) but instead now videos just freeze.

D

Deleted member 14196

Format the drive and install windows 10 and be done with it. Windows 8 not even support it anymore

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
any serious suggestions? I guess maybe going to Windows 10 might help but this just started all of a sudden after cleaning internal fans. this is a strong PC well capable of running HD video, doesn't even have to be HD and it still freezes.

UPDATE: I think the Roland Duo capture driver and/or the Tek Republic USB hub has something to do with it. Both have given me problems in the past likely driver-related (WHY are drivers so difficult?!). Instead of toggling chrome hardware acceleration, if I just re-plug the Roland USB Audio interface, it solves it.

I'm going to first open case again and make sure everything's correct (I'm %99 sure it is but somehow this started after cleaning and reinstalling a few fans etc inside) and if not then I'll upgrade to a scarlett 2i2 audio interface and a different USB hub. I wanted a non-generic Hub and Tek Republic seemed legit and well made but I might have been better with a cheap chinese no brand USB hub since this one doesn't even find keyboard on boot up.

SOLVED! UPDATE:
seems to be solved. I just plugged the Roland Duo Capture directly to the motherboard USB, so it's probably a driver issue with that and/or the Tek Republic TUH-3710 USB 3.0 7-Port Hub with Power Adapter

Will email both them see if have solution and upgrade one/both.

please mark thread as solved if mod reads this

Last edited:

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
, so it's probably a driver issue with that and/or the Tek Republic TUH-3710 USB 3.0 7-Port Hub with Power Adapter

I bought a new powered USB 3.0 hub off ebay, and have the same problem with the keyboard sometimes not being found on boot up and having to replug it into the Hub. The video freezing thing has still been solved but I guess either windows 8.1 or the iKBC keyboard just doesn't like being plugged into a hub instead of direct to motherboard.