View Column

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
phpbb is set up the way you see it now. I believe it is done this way so that the two number columns are seperated by some textual info, so they don't run into each other when you are viewing them.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I can see the logic of both ways. :? Though I do think, personally, I like the numbers to run together. It makes for slightly faster data processing. And so long as there are actualy column deliniations (as there are) then you can't accidentally run them together into one big number.

But meh, that's just my opinion. I'll take whichever. :)

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
I just thought of a 'steve' rule::::

If phpbb base runs it certain way, then there must be a darn good reason for us to change it, because:

(a) people who visit other sites are used to see it in a certain way

and

(b) the less mod we do to the base code, the less problem in upgrading to new versions, etc.

So 'steve' rule says, there should be a VERY GOOD reason to deviate from the base standard, otherwise stick to it.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
While this 'steve' rule makes sense from a maintanance standpoint (AKA point b), I have to say that point a is pretty meaningless IMHO because phpbb base isn't the basis of all forums anyway, and in an awful lot of places where it is people are modifying the code anyway.

But one must also raises the question of whether or not the phpbb base actually had things right in the first place. :roll:

Though perhaps then these issues should be flagged to take up with the phpbb base itself as well. I don't suppose that there's an easy mechanism for you to use to forward these kinds of posts to that development team? A pass-the-buck feature...

-quote- -reply- -edit- -x- -pass the bug/buck to phpbb-