ViewSonic Intros New Ultra-Fast 3D LED Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Where are you seeing it for $349 Kevin? I can't find it lower than ~$450...

Edited: Google search shows some for that much from sites never even heard of but their affiliates are selling it ~$100 more. Hmm

mergatroid

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
I highly doubt this monitor is 2ms considering how much manufacturers fudge their specs these days. Same with their "dynamic" contrast ratio. What a joke, so many companies will make their LCDs change brightness depending on what's in the video. Nothing like seeing the space scenes in your favorite scifi or the dark scenes in your favorite horror movie getting brighter and darker. Talk about annoying. Most of them don't provide any way to shut it off either. It's high time the governments forces these companies to stop BSing about their display specs. As it is now, specs mean nothing since you can't rely on them at all.

http://www.maximumtech.com/display-myths-shattered-how-monitor-hdtv-companies-cook-their-specs

Note, I entered a comment but was not logged in. When I logged in my comment seemd to have disappeared, so I wrote another. Sorry if it ends up a double comment.

[citation][nom]mayne92[/nom]Where are you seeing it for $349 Kevin? I can't find it lower than ~$450...Edited: Google search shows some for that much from sites never even heard of but their affiliates are selling it ~$100 more. Hmm[/citation]

From viewsonic web site of sellers...

Office Depot: http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/607414/Viewsonic-V3D231-23-3D-LED-LCD/ ($311.99)

CDW: http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/ViewSonic-V3D231-LCD-display-3D-Ready-TFT-23in/2520094.aspx (299.99)

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-V3D231-Viewsonic-23-Inch-Monitor/dp/B005LFQVUC%3FSubscriptionId%3D05YCYKW7BZ6ZSVJR4ZR2%26tag%3Dwhere2getit-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB005LFQVUC (399.99)

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Even if the screen is expensive, polarized glasses are super cheap ($5 or less a pair), come in different styles, and you could even make them yourself.

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]bak0n[/nom]This would be great on all of my zero 3d games that I own and want to own.[/citation]

This is not only for "3d" use, but alot of people buy it for the fast response, after you game on a 120hz monitor you can't go back to the choppy 60hz standart with lots of annoying ghosting.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]bak0n[/nom]This would be great on all of my zero 3d games that I own and want to own.[/citation]
i always wanted to play metro 2033 in 3d but i cant justify buying this for one game

[citation][nom]wiinippongamer[/nom]This is not only for "3d" use, but alot of people buy it for the fast response, after you game on a 120hz monitor you can't go back to the choppy 60hz standart with lots of annoying ghosting.[/citation]

This monitor doesn't do 120hz. You could get 60hz gaming at 720p, or 24hz at 1080p. I have found that 3D gaming at 1080p24hz sucks. With v-sync, the games will run at 24fps (sucks). Without v-sync, the tearing completely disrupts the 3D experience (sucks). So that leaves you with 60hz at 720p to get the nominal 60fps.

If you have AMD graphics, then this is a decent option for experiencing 3D.

sephirothmk

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
[citation][nom]clonazepam[/nom]This monitor doesn't do 120hz. You could get 60hz gaming at 720p, or 24hz at 1080p. I have found that 3D gaming at 1080p24hz sucks. With v-sync, the games will run at 24fps (sucks). Without v-sync, the tearing completely disrupts the 3D experience (sucks). So that leaves you with 60hz at 720p to get the nominal 60fps.If you have AMD graphics, then this is a decent option for experiencing 3D.[/citation]

Dude, he meant to say that if you turn off the 3D feature, it comes as a nice hyperfast LCD screen for playing games without ghosting. Shame that all of these "3D" LCDs are with TN panels......

[citation][nom]clonazepam[/nom]This monitor doesn't do 120hz. You could get 60hz gaming at 720p, or 24hz at 1080p. I have found that 3D gaming at 1080p24hz sucks. With v-sync, the games will run at 24fps (sucks). Without v-sync, the tearing completely disrupts the 3D experience (sucks). So that leaves you with 60hz at 720p to get the nominal 60fps.If you have AMD graphics, then this is a decent option for experiencing 3D.[/citation]

How did you come to that conclusion? It has a DVI connection, as long as it's a dual link DVI connection, it will work at 120hz. However, without a displayport, you can't use 3D at those frequencies (or 60hz at 1080p HD3D).

That said, there is at least one converter from dl DVI to displayport that will allow it. Club makes a dual link DVI to displayport converter, with that, you can game in HD3D at 120hz.

megahustler

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
I'm not sure it'll do 120Hz. As I understand the technology, polarized 3D screens don't need to be faster than normal non-3D screens.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
Don't know about others, but I would rather have an ultrathin, or no, bezel than have a 3D monitor. I can do a lot more with an ultrathin/no bezel than I would really want to do with 3D. I wish the monitor makers would stop pushing 3D and start pushing ultrathin/no bezel instead.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
[citation][nom]sephirothmk[/nom]Dude, he meant to say that if you turn off the 3D feature, it comes as a nice hyperfast LCD screen for playing games without ghosting. Shame that all of these "3D" LCDs are with TN panels......[/citation]

TN panels are better for gaming, I have a 24" dell ultra sharp and its great for video or photo editing but it tears horribly without vsync, my asus 3d monitor on the otherhand doesn't look so good for photo's but gaming is way smoother and no tearing even with vsync off. Besides, if you went with twisted you'd probably spend more then twice what they sell them for.

It won't do 120hz. If it did, it'd be listed in the specs on Viewsonic's website and it would be 3D Vision certified. It has no such certification. It uses AMD's 3D method, which does not utilize 120hz. I realize what he was saying about ultra-fast response. It's 2ms grey to grey. That performance isn't uncommon at all in the market.

Edit: I did actually go to Viewsonic's website and read the specs listing directly from it before I posted, fyi. Once you read that it's pretty clear... well actually no its still murky, but better. Just remember, if it supports 3D Vision, it'll be plastered everywhere. If it supports blu-ray 3D and AMD, it'll be like I'd said in the previous comment. You can use nvidia gpus but you wont be using nvidia's 3dvision glasses/hardware. It'll be supported through nvidia's software, 3D TV Play and I think it's 30 or 40 dollars. You might be able to get it to work with the software packaged with the monitor, but its probably not supported or reliable.

Edit 2 (lol): If anyone's still curious how I magically came across this information, it can referenced on pages 10,13, and 16 of the user manual. :pt1cable:

[citation][nom]clonazepam[/nom]It won't do 120hz. If it did, it'd be listed in the specs on Viewsonic's website and it would be 3D Vision certified. It has no such certification. It uses AMD's 3D method, which does not utilize 120hz. I realize what he was saying about ultra-fast response. It's 2ms grey to grey. That performance isn't uncommon at all in the market.Edit: I did actually go to Viewsonic's website and read the specs listing directly from it before I posted, fyi. Once you read that it's pretty clear... well actually no its still murky, but better. Just remember, if it supports 3D Vision, it'll be plastered everywhere. If it supports blu-ray 3D and AMD, it'll be like I'd said in the previous comment. You can use nvidia gpus but you wont be using nvidia's 3dvision glasses/hardware. It'll be supported through nvidia's software, 3D TV Play and I think it's 30 or 40 dollars. You might be able to get it to work with the software packaged with the monitor, but its probably not supported or reliable.Edit 2 (lol): If anyone's still curious how I magically came across this information, it can referenced on pages 10,13, and 16 of the user manual.[/citation]

AMD HD3D does use 120hz for it's 3D. The part that is unusual is how it uses HDMI 1.4a to pass compressed images in order to get enough info to display two images per 60hz (or 120hz). Not all 120hz monitors are 3D vision certified.

I know this because when I run HD3D on my monitor, the monitor itself shows it running at 120hz. The same as when I run 3D vision. I'll take a closer look at that specific monitor.

EDIT: I'm also not saying you are wrong about this specific monitor, just you also made some overly broad statements. You may be right about the 120hz, since it's not listed as 120hz. I'm not as familiar with the polarized method of 3D.

After looking around, this sight does confirm it won't run at 120hz: http://www.vecmar.com/ViewSonic_V3D231_LCD_display_3D_Ready_TFT_23/V3D231/p/S9841129#Specifications

Yeah I realized after I should have been more specific in certain areas, but I'd probably end up drifting God only knows where so I just left it alone lol. I didn't want to rehash info from the recent 3D reviews, like tri-def etc...

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
I own a Nvidia card, and I like the idea of polarized over active shutter, but how do I make this work? Where in the Nvidia 3D settings would I enable polarized. My settings on 3D are grayed out and I can't touch them. I assumed this was because I didn't have the 3D Vision kit. I must have missed something.

cmartin011

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
its bull crap, 2ms bull crap, not true 120hz 2d monitor, 20mil to 1 contrast ratio bull crap. i need new tech in this arena to be even some what interested. something like a 2ms g to g is fine what about monitor processing lag 2d and 3d? what about monitor that offer higher native refresh 240hz or better, true infinite contrast ratio and full color like with SED tech hmmm? 1080 is fine. up the anti with the rest of the crap !

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS