ViewSonic Intros New Ultra-Fast 3D LED Display

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]joshyboy82[/nom]I own a Nvidia card, and I like the idea of polarized over active shutter, but how do I make this work? Where in the Nvidia 3D settings would I enable polarized. My settings on 3D are grayed out and I can't touch them. I assumed this was because I didn't have the 3D Vision kit. I must have missed something.[/citation]

3D vision will not allow this. You should be able to use Tridef software instead.

dstigue

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Polarized is very different then alternating frame 3D. You don't need 120hz. 60hz is enough. each eye sees only half the image interlaced. Each separate line is polarized opposite the one above and below. So you see the full image in one frame. I have an LG polarized TV and love it. Biggest win is can take your movie theater glasses and they work So I literally have more than 20 pairs of glasses for my Tv for little cost.. LG also makes polarized monitors as well so this isn't the first one out.. Vizio also makes polarized televisions.

[citation][nom]dstigue[/nom]Polarized is very different then alternating frame 3D. You don't need 120hz. 60hz is enough. each eye sees only half the image interlaced. Each separate line is polarized opposite the one above and below. So you see the full image in one frame. I have an LG polarized TV and love it. Biggest win is can take your movie theater glasses and they work So I literally have more than 20 pairs of glasses for my Tv for little cost.. LG also makes polarized monitors as well so this isn't the first one out.. Vizio also makes polarized televisions.[/citation]

If half the lines are dedicated to one eye and the other half to the other, does that not lower the effective resolution you see?

[citation][nom]clonazepam[/nom]Read me: http://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] 636-5.htmlTom's has a lot of good articles about various forms and applications of 3-D. Everything I've read is all jumbled up in my brain so here's a link to one of many pertinent articles from Tom's to get a wider perspective of 3-D technologies.[/citation]

That article didn't have a high opinion of the techniques of polarized setups. You get lower resolution and in the interlaced version, apparently you noticed black horizontal lines and it's hard to read. I was hoping the polarized versions were alternating frames at different polarization. I guess that doesn't work.

itachispy

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
Does anyone know if movie theaters real3d glasses will work on this monitor? Someone stated before that a positive for passive 3d is that you can use movie theaters 3d glasses. this is not entirely true. for instance, you can not use them for the lg passive monitor---someone stated that you get purple coloring and that you have to turn your glasses a certain degree to lessen the effect. there is currently no way to replace the glasses for the lg passive monitors and I will not get this monitor if it also doesn't work with the movie theaters glasses/or there's no other method to replacing them (like the lg one)

Status
Not open for further replies.