Viking Announces Development of NVDIMM DDR3 Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]Something like this for the consumer means insta-booting. Your computer will work like your tv or microwave - you push the button and it's ready to go.[/citation]

But it also makes it even easier to steal data should someone gets access to your computer.

One of the easiest ways of bypassing security systems is through cold boot attack. Turn on computer, freeze the RAM sticks with compressed air to reduce memory bit loss, plug them into another device where you can recover lost bits (since bits are lost in a predictable pattern upon power loss), and read the data contents.

By ensuring that the RAM is never erased even when unplugged, you just made a hacker's dream come true.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]"According to Viking, it will cost about $200."B**tch please. 3 years ago I spent that on 8GB of RAM.Too expensive for consumers my ***. lol[/citation]

"So uh, our 24/7 critical server went down with some important data on them that haven't been written to the SSDs yet, and we have like 10,000 employees unable to do anything because of it..."

OR:

"So uh, we need to replace the SSDs. There's been a large spike in failures from all of the writing. If it keeps up, our RAID setup may fail completely..."

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]But it also makes it even easier to steal data should someone gets access to your computer.One of the easiest ways of bypassing security systems is through cold boot attack. Turn on computer, freeze the RAM sticks with compressed air to reduce memory bit loss, plug them into another device where you can recover lost bits (since bits are lost in a predictable pattern upon power loss), and read the data contents.By ensuring that the RAM is never erased even when unplugged, you just made a hacker's dream come true.[/citation]
Or, just steal the hard drive. :p

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
The ArxCis-NV would also be too expensive for consumer use.
an 8 GB version with 16 GB of NAND memory. According to Viking, it will cost about $200.
I'm not sure what type of consumer's you hang with, but a $200 part is not out of the reach of any of the ones I know.
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]But it also makes it even easier to steal data should someone gets access to your computer.One of the easiest ways of bypassing security systems is through cold boot attack. Turn on computer, freeze the RAM sticks with compressed air to reduce memory bit loss, plug them into another device where you can recover lost bits (since bits are lost in a predictable pattern upon power loss), and read the data contents.By ensuring that the RAM is never erased even when unplugged, you just made a hacker's dream come true.[/citation] While this is an interesting hack, its completly useless. Everyone knows, once you provide physical access to a computer, there is no such thing as security. This ram doesn't make anything especially easier for hackers...

ParrLeyne

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Unfortunately, the article has several errors:

1- the unit DOES NOT use batteries, it uses super-capacitors!!!

2- pricing WILL NOT be $200 per 8GB. Viking has told me that the pricing will be more in the area of $500 for 4GB.

G

[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]But it also makes it even easier to steal data should someone gets access to your computer.One of the easiest ways of bypassing security systems is through cold boot attack. Turn on computer, freeze the RAM sticks with compressed air to reduce memory bit loss, plug them into another device where you can recover lost bits (since bits are lost in a predictable pattern upon power loss), and read the data contents.By ensuring that the RAM is never erased even when unplugged, you just made a hacker's dream come true.[/citation]
I have hackers walking around my house every day, this product is definitely not for me then!

Status
Not open for further replies.