***Vintage PC Technology Mega Discussion Thread***

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

g-unit1111

Titan
Did anyone else see @midnight last night? They went all out for a 90's episode and made fun of vintage internet. I like how the prize was an extra 400 hours of AOL time and any time they got a graphic it took forever to load because of 14400 modems. :lol:

galeener

Distinguished
I think the processor speed on my 5150 was 4.77 and the memory was 640 but was populated on the mother board and an add in memory card.
This thing is built like a tank i think I could probably drive my truck up on it and it would hold.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Was cleaning out my parents attic and dug this up:

DSC_1262.jpg

I got excited for a second thinking maybe the board and processor were in the box but it was just the manual and a couple old IDE cables. I tossed it in the trash. I think this motherboard is from like 3-4 builds ago, and may have been the reason I hate Gigabyte. This system I built with it always was buggy and ran like crap.

g-unit1111

Titan

Gigabyte's come a long way since the K7 days. The Designare that I have now is running pretty flawlessly.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

These days I would say all the brands quality wise are pretty interchangeable, now that the FSB, memory controller, etc, is part of the processor (among other things). Back then the motherboard could make a real difference in performance. Now its really just how many features you want (fancy sound, ethernet, pcie lanes, etc). This board is a relic from the end of a time you needed to buy a card for everything. It did have integrated sound which I remember was not on every board at the time like it is today.

g-unit1111

Titan

This was the first Gateway I PC had after years of using Macs, and the funny thing is after adding a ton of expansion cards - sound, modem, 3Dfx, the system became so unstable and unusable that it turned me off PCs for the longest time:

Drive-Post-Gateway.jpg

It worked fine until I added the Voodoo 2, but when I bought my first CD burner and added the SCSI expansion card the thing went to crap.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Yep that was computing back in the day, 8 expansion bays, and every single one filled. At one point I had a PC that had an ATI 3D Rage II as the primary GPU, a PowerVR PCX2 PCI graphics accelerator, Creative DxR2 DVD video card (connected to the 3d rage by a vga cable), Soundblaster AWE 32 (or may have been an Audigy I forget), and a PCI ethernet card. 5 cards lol

g-unit1111

Titan

Yup! I remember those. Funny that my Silverstone Raven actually has one! :lol:

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador
Well, I've used a lot of old tech over the years. Our first Wintel machine was one of the IBM clones, with a 486DX chip in it. Those were the days, when you had to set up the batch file to access the full 4MB of RAM so that X-Wing would run. That was a machine my parents bought, though. The first PC I bought after I was married was a prebuilt eMachines from Best Buy. It was rocking an AMD K6 300MHz chip (later, after messing with the jumpers on the board, I replaced with a 500MHz K6-2 chip).

But the first "PC" that we ever actually owned wasn't even a Wintel machine. It was Christmas of 1983. My parents decided to get the family our first color TV (13" one) to replace the Philco 19" B&W TV we'd had....& they decided to pair it with a Coleco Adam. I thought the daisy wheel printer sounded so cool (like a turbocharged typewriter), & loved playing the included Buck Rogers tape game. Yes, that's right: primary storage was a tape drive (supposedly they later made a 5.25" disk drive, but we never had it), & it had a port to play all of the ColecoVision cartridges, so we could go to the local library & check out games to play (still remember how there was a "glitch" in my sister's Cabbage Patch Kids side-scroller game, where if you went left instead of right you actually went backwards through the game).

jdlech

Honorable
May 31, 2016
My very first computer was a commodore 64. I splurged for 2 disk drives, and a killer accelerator card that had a built in hex editor. It allowed me to edit the disks directly - it was the ultimate hack tool, back in the day. People today talk about all the protections that Maxis includes in their software. Much of that protection was first developed on, and for, the commodore computer.

For $1000, I became the proud owner of an original IBM 4.77MHz 8086 computer, complete with 640K of RAM, a 170K 5 1/2" floppy drive, a 10Mb hard drive, a hercules monochrome graphics card, a 'green screen' monitor, and a super cool 9 pin dox maxrix printer.
It was my first IBM. The day I got it home, I started looking at all the wonderful toys that came with MSDOS 1.1. That's how I discovered that one can wipe out the hard drive without realizing it. Lucky for me, there was a guy in town who could put it back together for me, for a small fee.
And naturally, the very day I got it back home, I did the same thing again.
On the third trip to his workshop, he sat me down and explained what the various programs do. He taught me how to not crash the hard drive, but also how to put it back together if I do.
I was hooked.
From there, I bought all the OSs. Zenith DOS, IBMs PC DOS, MS DOS, and Digital Research DR DOS. All had their quirks, bugs and merits. I started combining versions and utilities to get the best of them all.
Now, the thing about these computers is that only 256K was on the motherboard. The rest was on a separate memory card. And the clock crystals were soldered onto the boards. It was nothing at the time to buy faster crystals and solder them in. I managed to speed up the bus to just under 6MHz before the first board failed. I remember it was my memory expansion card that failed first. I didn't know it at the time, but I was overclocking before overclocking was a thing.
After reviewing all these versions of DOS, I recall telling my father that if he gave me $10K, I would retire a millionaire. Even as a teen, I knew MS was going to win the DOS wars and become big... real big.

But eventually, all my friends started joking about me literally turning my computer on and going for a cup of coffee in the time it took for my machine to boot up. So I splurged for a 12MHz 286. What was funny is that the 25MHz 286 was the latest and greatest. And I remember a quote from a rep at the computer convention in Vegas that year. He said "The 25MHz 286 was more computer than most people will ever need"
My 286 sported 1Mb of memory - which introduced me to upper memory. And I eventually expanded it to 2Mb, which introduced me to expanded memory.
This was about the time I started getting "The computer shopper" delivered to my door - by that time it was bigger than even the biggest telephone books.
Then I bought myself a 25MHz 386sx with 2Meg of extended memory. By this time, the only DOS still in business was MS. 3.11 was the standard, and 4 was on the way. At this time, I became a self taught expert in Quarterdecks QEMM and Qualitas QMax. I got pretty good at combining the two and even wrote a basic program that optimized the creation of upper memory blocks, and finding the most efficient order to load programs and data into them. Then I fell in love with Deskview386.
At the time, I was heavy into electrical engineering and Pspice. So I paid a premium price for that Cyrix 387 mathco. It was the ultimate math chip. And it was a miracle worker. But, as luck would have it, a buddy of mine pulled it out one day to look at it. He never grounded himself. When he plugged it back in, it was DOA. I still had all my electrical designs and simulations, but simulating a single cycle went from a few minutes back to half a day.
I was not all that impressed when Windows 1 came out. I heard it called "the most expensive solitaire game ever", and I agreed. But then W.2 came out. Once Windows 3 came out, I knew DOS was dead, even if Deskview worked better than W1 and 2.

I had been out of the game for a couple of decades. I missed the whole pentium revolution. So once I got the chance, I decided to see what I could do. I built my own last year.
Windows 10 - free, of course
Asus maximus VIII hero mb
4.0GHz 6700 processor
32GB 4400 DDR4
Geforce 980Ti graphics card.
4x SATA3 SSD RAID 0
Nothing is world record breaking, but it's a ton more computer than I'll ever need. (seriously, I'm a half century old, and the most processor intensive games I play are Stellaris, Civilization, and SimCity. I must admit - I just don't see why so few people use 4 drive RAIDS. The bus between memory and drive is clearly the most common bottleneck these days. SSDs are a bit better, 2 drive RAIDS are OK but they really miss the big benefit of RAIDs. But imo, a 4SSD RAID0 makes everything lightning fast.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
He said "The 25MHz 286 was more computer than most people will ever need"

The first PC my family ever owned was a 386 SX 25 with a 340mb hard drive, at a time that 100mb was normal. I can't tell you how many times I heard "340 megabytes?!?!?! You will NEVER fill that up! It will last FOREVER!"

jdlech

Honorable
May 31, 2016
Famous components I've owned/worked with
"true blue" 4.77MHz 8086 (even had the IBM logo on the desktop case)
Hercules monochrome graphics card (several years ahead of its time).
Paradise VGA card - back then, everything supported it.
And the 'world famous' cyrix 387 math coprocessor - it was the ultimate chip for engineering. Fellow engineering students marvelled at it in action. Some fellow students claimed I had an "unfair advantage" because of it.

But let's be honest about something. It took IBM computers many years to develop VGA and finally exceed the graphics capabilities of the humble commodore 64.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Yep. I remember a lot of games supporting EGA which was decent compared to the Commodore, but not really better.

I had that famous Cyrix 387 Co-processor I installed into that aforementioned 386 SX PC. I remember it came in a big flat rectangular box almost the size of a small modern laptop. Stupidly I thought it would help games. It did not lol.

jdlech

Honorable
May 31, 2016
You know what I really miss?
My ATI 8500DV All in Wonder card.
That was the most beautiful graphics card ever - because of all the things it could do.
It was a graphics card, a TV tuner card, a video capture card, and a hardware converter. It was the first card that allowed me to extend the desktop to 2 monitors, or a monitor and a TV. I could hook up my camcorder to it and convert everything to DVDs. Hook it up to a TV and watch movies while still using my monitor. It even came with a wireless remote - like a tv remote.
Geez, the stuff you have to buy these days to do everything that one card could do...
I still have it, but, it's an AGP card. Nothing comes with an AGP anymore.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i had a 9600 all-in-wonder and agree it's the best card i ever bought. am putting together a parts list for a small htpc to replace cable completely and wish there was such an option now. gonna take multiple parts to get all the options this one card had.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
still doing research but hopefully i can get a small case and have it all inside. need dvr for the antenna and ability to organize and search through media library we have. i had an hp laptop from around 2008 or so that had a pmcia digital antenna and good old windows media player gave me local channel guide once it scanned for channels and dvr abilities. so hopefully it won't be too hard to get what i want inside a nice small case through a software/hardware combo.

we're done with cable really and sticking with streaming services. the playstation vue cable is rather nice for $30 a month. we are loving it so far with it's channel line-up and cloud based dvr. don't miss cable at all but do want over the air channel dvr which needs some new stuff and gives me an excuse to build a new pc :)

before i go too far off topic. i do miss my old all-in-winder card :D

g-unit1111

Titan

Anyone remember that old Mac that had that built in TV tuner? I think I saw it on a list of the worst Apple products. :lol:

mactv-jpg.39423