[SOLVED] Virtualization parameter absent on BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmelblan

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2014
Hi,

I’m owner of a Compaq Presario C700, a quite old computer, but it has now several improvements I introduced on it recently and now it works quite smooth and fast. Among these improvements, like RAM extension to 3Gb and substitution of the processor to a much powerful one (the T8300) and finally the change of the mechanical hard disk to a SSD drive 240Gb, all this did really make the computer literally to fly at a really low cost (less than 20 Euros).

It also has installed three operative systems, Windows 10 (32 bits), Linux Mint 18.3 (64 bits) and Kali Linux 2020-2. It has a Grub with 3 bootable Operative Systems options, running quite well.

Up to now, all is ok, but the problem comes when I try to use virtualization (VTx). Whenever I want to run any virtual machine using for example Virtual Box or VMware I am not able to make them work properly. The new processor installed, T8300, has already VTx capability, that’s the reason I make the change because the previous processor did not have VTx. And here is where the real problem resides: the Bios is very very simple and there is no option available to enable VTx to on or off, simply this option does not exist.

So, the next step I took was to find the last version of Bios firmware. I accessed the web and went to HP support page, downloaded and installed the last version F35, but it is still practically the same, with no option to access this parameter VTx, so it’s impossible to enable virtualization. So, what to do? There are no more versions of Bios.

Does anyone know something about this subject and provide some help? I have read a lot of sites about modifying or editing Bios in order to expand the laptop’s internal parameters, but this skill is really out of my knowledge or abilities. Furthermore I understood that it’s a quite risky operation, if I can actually edit the Bios and something is done wrongly, I can convert my laptop in a brick.

Status
Not open for further replies.