Virus disabled my keyboard at boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Girlfriend

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
Was at my cumputer a few minutes ago, opened a file, and windows defender went nuts with warning pop ups, a few min later the computer force restarted and gave me a fake log in screen.

I shut the system down and popped in a windows recovery disk, but the virus disabled my keyboard during the boot process so I can't get into safe mode, or even reinstall windows.

Is there anything I can do?

Dr Girlfriend

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
Well, it did. I reseated connections multiple times, used different ports, and a different keyboard. Normally the keyboard lights up right when I hit the power button, now it doesn't light up until the fake login screen comes up.

Dr Girlfriend

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
For whatever reason all (4) of the front USB ports on the computer weren't allowing the keyboard to be active during boot, despite the system recognizing the keyboard. All the ports DO work, so why that happened in conjunction with the virus take over (despite being impossible apparently) is beyond me.

I swapped to the rear ports on a whim and the keyboard started working during boot again, did a system restore from a system image and I'm good to go. Now the front ports work exactly like they did before, and the keyboard is usable during boot from them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.