Question Virus/malware problem rebooting system

LennyD10

Commendable
Oct 13, 2019
Hello. I never thought it would happen to me but guess it did. Yesterday afternoon i turned on my computer only to get greeted by a popup after it would boot into windows. The popup stated: "You are about to be logged off. Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restard automatically in one minute. Please save your work now.".

I am quite experienced with using computers, i knew that it was some sort of malware from the start, the source of it i am unsure of though, mostly because i havent been downloading anything or opening any weird emails, i dont really get those anyways for the past weeks.

I do have BitDefender installed but i had no help from it or any sort of prompt regarding this issue.

After 1 minute the system either reboots and gives me the same error over and over again or logs me off and then i get the windows screensaver having to reboot manually in order to try again. During this time i cant open anything, task manager or any sort of program, nothing. Canceling the restart with commands doesnt work either. Also during this 1 minute, the options "Restart" and "Sleep" are greyed out, i cant press on them.

What i truly find weird is that sometimes instead of getting me straight to windows i get asked for a password although i never set a password. Funny enough the password is "pass" but the problem is that by the time it actually gets to the desktop the minute passes and it restarts.
It is worth mentioning that the first couple of reboots i did NOT get that lock screen asking for a password. After around 6/7 restarts it happens. Also sometimes it appears sometimes it doesnt.

I am currently running Windows 7 because the hardware inside is meant to be machine that can play 2000's games without any compatibility issues. I am aware support for Windows 7 is over and that Windows 10 is safer.

I will list what i have tried so far and did not work:
  • None of the Safe Modes works, i get the same popup foillowed by the restart
  • Opening task manager and it crashes like all the programs that i try to open
  • In the 1 minute that i have find the "Auto-restart" option that Windows has and uncheck it and it doesnt work
  • Most CMD lines that i tried do not work or aren't able to be completed due to the limited time
  • I have tried booting the Kaspersky Rescue Tool which scanned all the drives in the computer, found some viruses, removed them and the problem persisted
  • I have tried booting the Avast Rescue Disk and it didnt boot at all
  • I have tried using ESET SysRescue Live tool and out of all the tools i used this one seemed to take a deeper look trying to find malware, i have used it mostly on the C drive and part of the second 2 drives and it had found nothing, the problem persisted
  • I am currently using Avira Rescue System i have started a whole computer scan and i will check it when i get home although my hopes are pretty low at this point

I cannot run any exe on inside windows, all the software that i have specified above were directly installed on a usb drive as an .iso.

I am looking to either fix it temporarily and installing windows again when i have some time on my hands and finding out more about this issue if possible in order to well learn more about this part of computers and how how to avoid it.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs. (Windows 7 OS noted)

The wording "critical problem" via Microsoft is not much help....

Are you able to access BIOS?

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Replace the CMOS battery.

Disconnect all drives except for the boot drive.

Try booting again.

LennyD10

Commendable
Oct 13, 2019
Update your post to include full system hardware specs. (Windows 7 OS noted)

The wording "critical problem" via Microsoft is not much help....

Are you able to access BIOS?

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Replace the CMOS battery.

Disconnect all drives except for the boot drive.

Try booting again.

I tried disconnecting all the other drives except the boot drive and it was the same result. BIOS did work.

I gave up on it though, i reinstalled Windows.

This thread can be closed but in case anyone else stumbles upon it with the same problem my advice would be to look for anti malware software from companies like Eset, Norton even Avira, im guessing what i had was too much for them but maybe it would help you. Simply download their software, use rufus to "burn" the image file on a USB drive and boot into it and go along. Hopefully it can help you.

Thank you for you reply Ralston!