VisionTek's SSD Fits Windows 8 In Your Shirt Pocket

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a re-badge of a - can't tell you now, it's in my dresser drawer at home. Awesome device; I can do automated build and test on it at work faster than on the PCs internal hard drive.

On the other hand, that fin-like design (needed for heat) came with such a sharp edge on the tail end that I got cut before I noticed it. I had to file it down.

Edit: Here it is. It's a Mushkin. Or they both hired the same design firm and got gypped. http://poweredbymushkin.com/index.php/component/djcatalog2/item?id=751:ventura-ultra-120gb-flash-drive&cid=33:ventura-ultra

And here it is on Tom's: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/mushkin-frostbyte-scorpion-helix-ventura,25678.html

NoneBeforeNoneAfter

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
Imagine a design where you run High Speed sata SSD STICKS drives directly to the motherbard. No wires. of course they would have to include power into a new Sata port to make it wireless. Now with a mini MB you can reduce size of case even more. I imagine like 8 or more sticks stacked at the front of the mother board. I love it... No Wires to drives.

Sprinx

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Last I checked, you need to have a license for Windows 8 Enterprise edition to install Windows on the go. This caveat greatly limits the number of people who can use this drive for that purpose. Basically, if you're not part of a large corporation with expensive licensing agreements with Microsoft, you're never going to see Windows on a flash drive.

GeekDad63

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
This drive shares the external case but has solved the overheat/throttling issue so not the same as the Mushkin.

GeekDad63

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
I didn't see anything mentioned about WTG...this can be used like any other external bootable drive with a copy Windows 8 on it. Plenty of articles on web that say how to create such...

GeekDad63

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014

Seems like Linus at LinusTechTips didn't have any issues with it...other than the cap likely to be lost and the product name.

petsche

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
Is this really limited to Windows 8 or is it possible to boot and run Windows 7 using this as the only drive a system?

genz

Distinguished
Microsoft needs to move to a portable 'terminal' based infrastructure. I would love a world in which everyone's copy of Windows was carried in their pockets with all their files and data, and things like corporate security was actually done in firmware or under the OS layer, which would be brought by the end user.

Status
Not open for further replies.