Vista PC sees other LAN'd computers, but cannot connect to internet

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

boppacesagain08

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I have a home network consisting of ASDL coming into a Speedstream modem, going into a Linksys wrt54g router. I have ethernet cables running from this computer (XP) to my computer (recently upgraded from XP to vista). Originally, the vista could not see any networks, even with the ethernet plugged in. I then installed the latest drivers for my network card, and now it sees my home network, and I can see all the shared files on the XP from the Vista. In my Network and Sharing Center thing, I have green lines both to the "gateway" and to the internet. However, the internet is not working on the Vista for whatever reason. I can't even navigate to my router's homepage (http://192.168.1.1/). I also downloaded the latest firmware for the router and installed that to no avail. I'm sure there's a simple reason for this happening I just don't know why, and help would be very appreciated.

G

make sure you have your DNS on the vista machine pointing to you router. So make sure the DNS and gateway address are the same.

IP 192.168.1.2 (vista machine)
Sub 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.1.1 (router address)
DNS 192.168.1.1 (router address)

or whatever you use.

redgarter437

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I've had this problem on NUMEROUS occasions running Vista. Rebooting the machine is the ONLY cure that works. I've tried unchecking IP6, new router firmware, new NIC drivers (for both wired and wireless card, which both have this problem), resetting the adaptor within Vista... the only sure-fire way to make it stop is to reboot.

This is the MOST FRUSTRATING thing I've had a problem with in Vista. It mostly happens when I resume from hibernation in a location different from when it went to hibernation. I wish I knew why this happens, as I've SERIOUSLY considered going back to XP over this!

PS -- XP machines are COMPLETELY unaffected. Only the Vista laptop.