Vista\'s ok, 64-bit Drivers SUCK!!!

techforumz

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
Alright, well my XP installation was getting crapped up so I decided to install windows 7.
Well, my Windows 7 disc I burnt wouldn't install probably due to being burnt too fast. So I decided on Vista (ultimate 64) and it installed, if excruciatingly slowly.
Finally it's installed and WHAM my wireless card doesn't work. It's the ONLY way to access the internet with that computer!!! It's a POS Belkin F5D7000 rev 2? based on Ralink rt2500. The drivers that come on the CD are junk and basically don't work. So for my XP install I downloaded the generic ralink drivers. Well surprise surprise the app doesn't recognize my card, and windows doesn't recognize my drivers ARGGHH!!! As if spending 6+ hours getting the damn thing to even boot wasn't bad enough!!!

All I've got to say is next time I am SOOOOO going with an xbox.
If someone has a solution please share it, thanks.

techforumz

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009

And which version exactly is "Version #" ? There are EIGHT revisions. To install faulty Belkin drivers: rip out hardware, run retarded program, put hardware back in, run program again, watch as vista rejects the hardware/driver, repeat for versions 1-8. Then watch as even if you DO get the right card version and the drivers DO install the card stops working after a progressively shorter period of time from 2 hours down to about 30 seconds.

Don't blame Vista, your problem lies elsewhere.

Not blaming Vista, I'm blaming faulty / non 64-bit drivers. And also vista for not accepting ordinary 32-bit xp drivers...

Pretty sure you won't like the solution, but here it is anyhow:

(1) Buy a new wireless card, which has proper drivers for your intended application.

or

(2) Buy some LAN cable, plug into your router, and bypass the problem entirely.

I don't see any available Vista drivers for your version card at the Belkin website, upgrade the card to one that will work with Vista 64bit.

Even a firmware flash to a higher rev# won't get you past a Vista 32bit option, if a firmware flash was even available its time to upgrade the card, or bypass it as Scotteq suggested.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
From what I've read, hardly anyone is going to support older devices, that is built before June 2008 or so, in any Windows 64 bit environment. And Microsoft is doing nothing to get the peripheral companies to build 64 bit drivers nor will it's vaunted backwards compatibility work with 32 bit drivers. I've been trying since May 09 to get 64 bit drivers for my Canon scanner or even get Win7 to recognize it but no luck.

Vista 64 is three years old. There is no longer a problem with driver support that amounts to a hill of beans. OP is saying and I quote:

Not blaming Vista, I'm blaming faulty / non 64-bit drivers. And also vista for not accepting ordinary 32-bit xp drivers...

I have an AMD socket 939 with Windows 7 64. I did not have to load a single system hardware driver, the OS provided them all. I ran VISTA BETA 1 on a Socket A MB three years ago.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Okay, Badge, so why did none of the drivers I found from Canon work under Win7/64? Why did Win7/64 not even see my scanner, let alone let it function. Win7 is just Vista SP2 with a new wrapper and fewer bloatware. If you look closely you'll see the official inside name for Win7 is actually Windows 6.##.

My ancient Canon scanner doesn't have a Vista driver provided by Canon either. I understand that and instead of ask why the Windows XP driver doesn't work with Vitsa 64 like OP, or call Canon and M$ 'inadequate' out of ignorance I will buy a new Canon Scanner that offers VISTA 64 support for $39. Windows 7 is Vista 64 minus bloatware. What fairy tale world are you living in. Windows 7 64 will become compatible with Windows XP drivers with SP1.

glenlo

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009

I think you have solved your own problem! Based on my reading of your deductions and frustration Im sure the Xbox would be perfect for you . Dont get the xbox 360 though that would be too tekky for you with that red ring of death thingy and might just make you get a DS I hear that is basically idiot proof . Good luck.