Vista will not boot and/or stay on

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbmwsu

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Hello, I've tried everything I can think of to fix this problem. Vista begins to load and then shuts down the computer. I can stay in BIOS forever, but once it tries to boot Vista it crashes. I have put the recovery disk in and when it begin to start Vista it crashes. I take the disk out and start windows normally, it will start up and then crash after about 5-20 minutes. I have been looking for days on the internet and have tried everything. I've even replaced the power supply, re-applied the heat sink on the processor, and reseated everything. Is there something I'm missing? Is there a diagnostic test I can run? I'd hate to take it to a place if it is something minor that I can fix.

Thank you

jbmwsu

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
it's all good aford10. Just trying to get something figured out. It is most likely the same problem as your customer is having. I have the same drive as well, just checked. So you're saying it IS probably the HD?

jbmwsu

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
my screen shows

IDE Function Setup
Onboard Device
Onboard I/O Chip Setup

I have nothing else here. I can go into:

in RAID config it shows

RAID
SATA 1 Primary
SATA 2 Secondary

Sorry this is a bit over my head :)

Should I Enable these?

jbmwsu

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
sorry everything is kinda ghetto-fied at the moment. I have messenger if that helps lol. Under onboard device:

onchip USB [V1.1+V2.0]
usb keyboard support
usb mouse support
usb storage support
HD audio
onboard lan
onboard lan boot ROM

all are enabled except HD AUDIO is set to auto.

jbmwsu

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
If it helps...I was able to get into windows and it wanted me to install it again...i went in to repair system and there was no option for my C drive, showed CD ROM and what appeared to be my D drive. I checked the HD in BIOS and it gave me the specs for it...not sure if this has anything relevance.

jbmwsu

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
it unfortunately did not :( I just remembered something, when I reinstalled windows last time the D drive did not have enough room to install windows on it again...so it went on my HD...if my HD is failing...then it wouldn't be able to boot windows for very long...or at all...hence the problem maybe?

jbmwsu

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Makes more sense now, thank you :) I was little confused about the partition. I reinstalled in using the emachine installation disc that came with the computer.

Okay now when I hit the power button it flashes and then goes off immediately without hesitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.