Vizio 4k UHD stuck at 30hz in 2560x1440

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpersinger

Commendable
Apr 23, 2016
The Vizio 4k UHD televisions do not seem to natively support 60hz in 1440p through HDMI2.0 - at least with an NVIDIA card - despite supporting 60hz in 4k with the same setup. This can be troublesome for PC gamers who want to play their games in 60hz at 1440p. After hours of research I have discovered a peculiar solution which I'd like to make more visible via Google. Follow the steps below to enable 60hz at 1440p. I imagine the same steps would work for AMD users.

1. Open NVIDIA Control Panel (or the Catalyst Control Panel for AMD users)

2. Under the Display section, click on Change Resolution

3. Set the resolution to 1080p 60hz and click Apply. The resolution MUST be in 1080p (not 4k, not 1440p!!) for this to work.

4. Click Customize... to create a custom resolution. Check the box to "Enable resolutions not exposed by the display"

5. Click Create Customer Resolution...

6. Set the Horizontal Pixels to 2560, the Verical Lines to 1440, and the Refresh Rate to 60. Click Test.

7. You should see a Test Successful message. Click Yes to finalize the setting.

8. Click OK to exit the Custom Resolution dialog box.

9. Scroll to the top of the Resolution list and you should see your newly-created resolution. Select it and click Apply.

10. Finished! 1440p in 60hz.

Please note that if you attempt to create the 1440p 60hz custom resolution when your monitor is set to anything other than 1080p, the Test step will fail. Once you've applied the setting you can play your games in 1440p at 60hz (providing that your graphics card can support it of course!). I was having trouble playing Witcher 3 at 60fps in 1440p with Vsync enabled until I followed these steps. Before it was capped at 30 fps, which makes sense because the 1440p resolution was capped at 30hz. Now it runs at a buttery-smooth 60fps with no issues! Happy gaming.

EDIT: It has come to my attention several months later that non-registered users who stumble across this page on Google will not be able to see numbered lists, so I am repeating the instructions below in a different format:

1. Open NVIDIA Control Panel (or the Catalyst Control Panel for AMD users)

2. Under the Display section, click on Change Resolution

3. Set the resolution to 1080p 60hz and click Apply. The resolution MUST be in 1080p (not 4k, not 1440p!!) for this to work.

4. Click Customize... to create a custom resolution. Check the box to "Enable resolutions not exposed by the display"

5. Click Create Customer Resolution...

6. Set the Horizontal Pixels to 2560, the Verical Lines to 1440, and the Refresh Rate to 60. Click Test.

7. You should see a Test Successful message. Click Yes to finalize the setting.

8. Click OK to exit the Custom Resolution dialog box.

9. Scroll to the top of the Resolution list and you should see your newly-created resolution. Select it and click Apply.

10. Finished! 1440p in 60hz.

Solution
This is exelent! The only annoying little problem is that for me,the custom resolution dissapears after a driver update so beware,you might have to do these steps again,but otherwise this trick has worked for me for a while now. :)

RedHaze1911

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2015
This is exelent! The only annoying little problem is that for me,the custom resolution dissapears after a driver update so beware,you might have to do these steps again,but otherwise this trick has worked for me for a while now. :)

Solution

PepeDuranT

Commendable
May 19, 2016

Hi, are you force to use a HDMI 2.0 cable to achive this? I have a samsung 40uhd7000 and a R9 290X and Im stuck at 30hz, please help

pOOTERgOBLiN

Commendable
Sep 21, 2016
Do not know if have corrected this or not. But if anyone else is having this same problem, which I dealt with for a few weeks, I have the solution. For these vizio 4k hd "smartcast" displays you need to get to the display options using your phone or tablet. Which getting "smartcast" to pair phone/tablet properly can be a headache. Once accomplished, start up smartcast on your phone or tablet then hit the settings icon next to your reported display. Select the Inputs tab. I was told it is better to name HDMI 1 to "PC". On some of these Vizios, HDMI 1 is the only port to be able to change the next option for. So under the inputs tab we have now renamed HDMI 1 to PC. Under the name input tap is a HDMI color subsampling tab, hit that and when the next screen comes up turn on the HDMI-1 option under color subsampling. Then go to Nvidia control panel and check your resolutions. 1440p should come up with up to 60hz. You will also gain the ability to chane the ouput color format at the bottom of the resolution page. You might have to reboot first, though I did not. I just applied a diff. resolution then set it back and it had 60hz as an option.

evo4ever86

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016

Man your the best! It worked for me too!! :) I'm using an LG 42 UHD 4k

ederss7

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016
The method above does not enable the actual resolution. I've found out a way to make it work. You'll notice a better image quality using this method :
1.First you must enable UHD colour. Then create a custom resolution while your current one is 4k(if you don't know how to manually adjust the timings), but create it at 30hz so you can pass the test.
2. Go to control panel(Windows) and change the resolution to 2560x1440(or whatever resolution you've created). Then just hit apply. For some reason you keep the 60hz by doing this. Check the resolution info on your TV and it should be 3840x2160@60hz, but the actual resolution is 2560x1440.
3. Now there's a small problem. Inside your games you still can't select 2560x1440 with 60hz. All your need to do is choose the 2560x1440@30hz resolution without fullscreen, so you just enable the windowed or borderless mode. Now you can enjoy the resolution with 60hz.
TV: Samsung JU6500, GTX 680(no HDMI 2.0), high speed with Ethernet HDMI cable, Windows 10.
Note: you can create any resolution between 1080p and 4k and still get 60hz. Just do what I said before, just create the resolution you want through Nvidia control panel(when you're already using the 4k resolution) but create it with 30hz. You should pass the test. Now go to control panel(Windows) and choose the resolution you created. It should stay at 60hz, though you created it at 30hz!
Also, on Nvidia control panel, got to "Adjust desktop size and position" and select "full screen" if the image isn't completely filling on your TV screen.

The Ethical Pixel

Commendable
Nov 22, 2016
This might sound insultingly simple but this is what worked for me

I didnt notice this was an issue until i rolled back my tv software
Never had a "1440p 30 hz" issue
Troubleshot for hours and to no avail.
I then realized that my tv was not synced to "game console" (samsung) and once i did that and activated "UHD color" it worked and to confirm it did i r-opened my control panel via nvida and it now registered 1440p 60 hz

If you have a gaming mode i suggest turn that on, on a samsung its called "game console" for which i have run into gaming related issues if i left it on standard pc input.

Im not saying this is a fix all, it worked for me, the only thing that did. I tried forcing via panel and i got a black screen.
http://imgur.com/b7URKST

almost every error i have found in relation to an HZ issue, one which the tv should be able to output as well as having the correct hdmi, points to the gaming mode or game console source not being turned on or activated as source

If you have a samsung hit home > source > edit > game console > ok
If not
google your tv make and 'how to activate gaming mode"

UHD color is also under settings

Xyroxis

Prominent
Feb 26, 2017
I've been searching quite some time for this solution. I couldn't make my own resolution cause it gave me a black screen. I had to explicitly choose 1080p 60Hz or it wouldn't work. Thanks a lot!

jonas48

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017
Is it a real 1440@60hz or a downscaling solution ?

It is possible to break the TV doing this ? The nvidia panel tells me that I can fuck up my TV applying custom resolution and also loose the warranty.

alexcunha

Prominent
Aug 21, 2017
This solution is <ModEdit>, atleast in my TV. With my old AMD graphic I could put it in 1440p and upscale to 4K, even from "3K" 1800p, but if I try the same in my new Nvidia Graphic card it lock the framerate to 30fps. And if I use this "solution" it downscale the 1440p to 1080p... so... it looks way worst than when I use the 1440p to upscale until 4K.

It happens because my TV don't have the 1440p resolution, it shows just 1080p or 4K resolution. So if I use 1440p I just can upscale or downscale... and with Nvidia Graphic card, if I want 60fps the only way is downscale to 1080p... and it looks like <ModEdit> after play in 1440p upscaled to 4K.

<Moderator Warning: Watch your language in these forums>

Status
Not open for further replies.