VLC 1.0 For Android Finally Loses The Beta Tag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its about time. I was starting think VLC was never going to get a good release on Android. I never got why the development for mobile devices was so poor. I know its an open-source program and not a paid group working on it but I still thoguht someone would of wanted to do more with it.

alextheblue

Distinguished
They're also working on a touch-centric port for Windows Modern platforms (8.x, 10, WP, possibly Xbox One). It's currently in beta for x86 Windows with more to come. No licensing issues with Windows or Android. Sorry iOS users... tell Apple you want them to loosen their restrictions!

rokit

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
One of the most horrible players around is going to Android, why? Did they fix their horrible way of adding subtitles/audio at the very list?

ddt529

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
MX Player has been fine for me though I do like VLC on my windows/ubuntu PCs. For casting, use localcast app.

alextheblue

Distinguished
MX Player has been fine for me though I do like VLC on my windows/ubuntu PCs. For casting, use localcast app.
I used to hate VLC but it's gradually gotten better in most regards. It's still not perfect but it is an active project at least. Having it ported to all the major platforms is nice.

For Windows I've always used VLC. Recently I started using SMplayer for whatever it supports, just cause it uses less CPU usage.
For Android, I've tried a few things and nothing ever seemed to work as well as I would like it to. MX Player did best with my last tablet, and VLC had weird glitchy problems. I'm getting a new high end Android TV Box with a RK3288 so I will try this and hope it has improved a lot.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
I use VLC on my pc, but wouldn't have switched from MX Player to VLC player on android it MX hadn't yanked the support for most formats due to licensing issues.
Well, VLC isn't disappointing, I've yet to have any issues with it, and it works fine on a range of devices from a Tegra 2 tablet to my Xperia Z2 tablet just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.