VLC damaged my laptop speaker

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmed_unreal

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
just installed VLC PLAYER guys on my laptop "DELL" :sarcastic: and used it for sometime , few days back my media player got crashed . anyway i had to use VLC PLAYER , i listen to hard metal so i raised the sound to 200% , well the sound was great after just 15 minutes or something , i heard strong noise from the left speaker , i thought something is wrong with the software but no sire , my speaker is spoiled :D , the VLC got my laptop speaker dead , i just want to ask the creator of this program , does he have any idea how hard it's gonna be in a place like this to fix my laptop and how the hell i am gonna get the spare part i need , i am crying people this sucks for sure , i know what u probably gonna say it's dell 's problem but VLC had to tell me the risk or anything , anything that could tell me this was gonna happened :??: i don't understand how could such app be available to download and u something if u raise it to %200 u gonna get ur self only bad sound

guys , last thing does it have to be replaced , can't i just fix it or something :(

Hi :)

Its NOT hard to fix, its the expensive labour.. we would charge in the UK a minimum of 1 hours labour (£50) plus the new speaker to strip the laptop and solder in a new speaker...

OR you could just plug in a decent set of speakers to the audio jack and blow your ears off that way...at 200%

All the best Brett :)

BTW StefanGR - you do not know what you are talking about.
-Bruce
Many 100Watt speakers have been blown by a 50 W Amp - when it clips.
Speakers are impedances - the have a nominal impedance from 20-20,000Hz of 4-8Ohms. When clipping occurs short bursts of DC(direct current - 0Hz) go through your speakers. Dc resistance may be fractions of an OHM. Very high currents will flow through the voice coils making them very hot - will burn the enamel off the copper wire.

bjaminnyc

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011

The option is there due to different average volume results in encoding. It's far preferable audio quality wise to increase the source by 20% or 100% vs your amplifier having to be set 20% over normal.

I actually believe this is an especially useful setting I use regularly that should be in all players. If my wife and I are watching a video on my laptop while flying its nice to be able to compensate for the laptop's audio amp having to drive two sets of headphones via a splitter.

Here ya go <$30 fix, and its purple to boot.
http://www.amazon.com/X-Mini-XAM14-PU-Portable-Capsule-Speaker/dp/B00A0JUPOM/ref=sr_1_36?ie=UTF8&qid=1383145803&sr=8-36&keywords=mono+portable+speaker

schmulk

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014

are you a fan of common sense dude? treat your possession with respect if you want them to function properly! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.