VLC Kickstarter for Windows 8 Gets Funded

Status
Not open for further replies.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, the best player is on iPad. 40,000 pounds is about $60,000 US so about one developer spending 3 months (max) on it. Oh yeah, can you smell the high quality rock solid app for Win8? ... haha

diddo

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
So instead that spending workpower on improving VLC they need starting another project to make it for WinRT.
That is what Metro / Store fuss is for: making developers stop improving products and start writing and maintaining two versions, hampering competition to MS software.

G

Best player is on iPad? All I see is choppy playback video playwers on iPad. When it comes to video compatibility, iPad is hopeless and Windows is king.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]synd[/nom]Not at all a 'best' player. A lot of problems with codec packshttp://www.cccp-project.net/wiki/i [...] ia_Players pretty much explains the whole story.[/citation]

Codec packs are a problem themselves.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
i tried VLC i was never able to play my blu-ray disc with it. I treid powerdvd after trying many players that failed to do the same and it worked like a charm.

The-Darkening

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
[citation][nom]synd[/nom]Not at all a 'best' player. A lot of problems with codec packshttp://www.cccp-project.net/wiki/i [...] ia_Players pretty much explains the whole story.[/citation]

I for one am grateful that VLC uses it's own codecs. They don't take a dump all over my system and work very well out of the box. Could care less about CCCP (Which C means Crap? All of them?), I don't even need a codec pack nowadays.

[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]i tried VLC i was never able to play my blu-ray disc with it. I treid powerdvd after trying many players that failed to do the same and it worked like a charm.[/citation]
PowerDVD is pay for software, while VLC is FREE. VLC bluray support was just released. It is hard to work an open source/free player with ALL the DRM bluray is filled with.

On that note, I use PowerDVD for bluray as well:)

[citation][nom]The-Darkening[/nom]I for one am grateful that VLC uses it's own codecs. They don't take a dump all over my system and work very well out of the box. Could care less about CCCP (Which C means Crap? All of them?), I don't even need a codec pack nowadays.[/citation]
It is all about the way that Win8/RT metro apps work. it is not as simple as it is on the normal desktop app. I love VLC's built in codec setup(plays 99% of things).

notsleep

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
i like their 64-bit windows version of their releases. vlc should get rid of their 32-bit version and focus on 64-bit only. :)

i don't see the reason to continue development for 32-bit windows version.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]notsleep[/nom]i like their 64-bit windows version of their releases. vlc should get rid of their 32-bit version and focus on 64-bit only. i don't see the reason to continue development for 32-bit windows version.[/citation]

because not everyone in the world is on windows 7 and even than not everyone is on 64bit?

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
This money/time should be spent on making a better player for android itself. Win8 anything is a waste of resources. This OS should be abandoned. :) Just like Vista/ME/MsBob. You're wasting money & resources on an OS that isn't going to be adopted by many users. What a shame.

Looks at OS market share and design for that. Android running ~74% or so should tell you something vs. anything microsoft related to win8/rt (or even WP7.x). They have no share, why waste your time? Does anyone see ANY product from microsoft dominating android/ios soon? If so you need to put the crack pipe down for a sec and take a deep breath of fresh air ;)

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]PowerDVD is pay for software, while VLC is FREE. VLC bluray support was just released. It is hard to work an open source/free player with ALL the DRM bluray is filled with.On that note, I use PowerDVD for bluray as wellIt is all about the way that Win8/RT metro apps work. it is not as simple as it is on the normal desktop app. I love VLC's built in codec setup(plays 99% of things).[/citation]

i tried the blu ray support version and it still didn't with retail blu ray disc, because of DRM. The nly way around that is is to use anydvd HD to break the DRM on the disc and then use VLC.

Even though powerdvd is not free it's a great program and worth every penny esp when you consider the latest one supports 3D Blu Ray play back. I got mine for 60 bucks and it blows away the competition.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
I use VLC and like it. However, I wish they would drop the traffic cone as its icon etc.

Traffic cones are not a symbol of efficiency or goodness. Quite the opposite.

Th-z

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
[citation][nom]daglesj[/nom]I use VLC and like it. However, I wish they would drop the traffic cone as its icon etc.Traffic cones are not a symbol of efficiency or goodness. Quite the opposite.[/citation]

And it could use an icon overhaul for different file types.

Th-z

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
You can do that back in the XP days, but since Vista Microsoft changes the way it works. You'd either edit the registry or most likely use a third party program. Still, it's nice to have standard and visually informing icons next to thumbnail, and in small view.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
lol...The 5 MS employees using win8/RT voted me down...How about answering the question? With the market share WinRT/8/WPhone has who can anyone justify doing any app for these things? Would you rather see them waste time on these, or spend it on something most of us use, like android/ios/win7 x64? It seems to me money is better spent on these. Say a bit more time on streaming making that more reliable (better competition for plex etc, better interoperability with devices, roku, tablets etc), or as mentioned new icons etc. I don't care about pretty though, but it could be updated a bit in the UI.

Since valve us pushing linux, even making that better wouldn't be bad (not saying it isn't good already). Last I checked Android version is still in beta, and they have a huge market share. I wish this was an android fund rather than win8/RT. Win9 is supposed to be out next year, so why not just skip 8? Win9 wouldn't be coming so soon (Pushed up btw) if MS thought win8 was worth a hill of beans. Also they probably wouldn't have fired the manager of win8 if they thought it was good correct?...You fire people when you think they've failed. Thus, MS thinks win8 is a FAILURE.

Status
Not open for further replies.