VLC will not install on Sony Vaio laptop

Solution

All you have to do is get an HDMI cable and set the VAIO to "extend" mode (do not use clone for best quality). Drag the player into the TV (or use the fullscreen monitor settings in the options) and it'll work.

Just remember to select an answer if your question was answered, so others know it was solved.

mommycat

Reputable
Mar 19, 2015

What is MPC-HC? Will try later to get the x86/32bit version and let you know. Thanks, I am a novice at this, as you probably guessed.

https://mpc-hc.org/downloads/ is what VLC originally tried to compete with but could never beat in terms of high performance video playback. If you just want to be able to play any video file with minimum stress on your computer, MPC-HC is the software to use.

mommycat

Reputable
Mar 19, 2015

Thanks! Will try it. I want to watch films I download on my Compaq HP on my Sony Bravia using a cable (have been using Western Digital device until now). But when I hooked up the old Sony Vaio laptop near the TV to connect by cable, I found I could not install VLC at all. Will let you know, you have been helpful and thanks so much.

mommycat

Reputable
Mar 19, 2015

So far, so good. MPC is installed and plays videos downloaded onto my WD device. Now have to get a cable and see if I can play the videos directly from the Vaio laptop connected to the nBravia TV. You've been great, I learn something everyday.

All you have to do is get an HDMI cable and set the VAIO to "extend" mode (do not use clone for best quality). Drag the player into the TV (or use the fullscreen monitor settings in the options) and it'll work.

Just remember to select an answer if your question was answered, so others know it was solved.

Solution

mommycat

Reputable
Mar 19, 2015
The cable will be here on Tuesday. Where do I find the 'extend' option on the Vaio (sorry for what is probably a dumb question, but I did warn you I am no tech)? Will let you know and will definitely 'select an answer' once up and running.

It's Windows key+P on all versions of Windows since XP. You'll have an option for each monitor alone, smaller screen cloned onto the larger screen (not suggested), and each screen working side-by side (extended mode).