VMWare Says Microsoft, Google Clouds No Good

Status
Not open for further replies.

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
That's one solution.

I like the idea of being able to combine processing power, I'd like to see this brought to home use though; even though it would more less practical.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]afrobacon[/nom]That's one solution.I like the idea of being able to combine processing power, I'd like to see this brought to home use though; even though it would more less practical.[/citation]

Really? I can see one person browsing the net on their computer, while another is playing a processing intensive game. The resources was be shared so that the processing intensive game would get the left over from the web browser.

ThePatriot

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
VMware has a very valid point. Why commit to MS and Google?
There is no such thing as a free lunch..

Also like the idea of virtual servers and networks.
Sounds exciting.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]Really? I can see one person browsing the net on their computer, while another is playing a processing intensive game. The resources was be shared so that the processing intensive game would get the left over from the web browser.[/citation]
In my ears it sounds like they're talking about a bigger esx enviroment with an extended vc server - which has nothing to do with playing games. If you think a datacenter has to deliver internet browsers and games to the user, then what you want isn't a datacenter but a terminal server solution. And in fact vmware has a virtual desktop system that delivers something similar to that already.

LightWeightX

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
This sounds like a good idea. My main issue with the cloud, is that you have to trust the cloud owner (Microsoft, Google) with your data. With VMware's plan, you build your own VDC cloud and maximize your own resources.

G

Call me old fashioned. but I really am not concerned or interested in "Cloud Computing" I do not want to be able to access my data and information stored on a server somewhere and be linked to one of the two companies products.I can access my information anywhere in the world just by using a nas box, so all my info is accessible and secure.

The whole PC world is one of choice and as such the variety of software available is tremendous. We can by hard format media to install or download media, From Utility Apps to Word Processing and even games, why limit to these two "Cloud Systems" cause once loads of your stuff is on there its a monster to change if you dont like it.

The market has invented Hgh EndMini Super Computers to lttle Netbooks capable of the most used modern tasks necessary to get by, so why do we need cloud computing. Accessing your information of the internet irrelevant of which PC you use does seem cool, but this can already be done without cloud computing, I have all my fav applications running of a 4gb USB drive and can write all my Documents/spreadsheets, answer emails and view and save my bookmarks in my favorite browser all of the usb key, Which works on any pc. And to boot its secure in the way having your data online will never be ITS in my hands.

As for gaming being streamed across from central servers to our machines, Not here in the UK for MANY MANY MANY years as there is no infrastructure even being proposed that could cope with that kind of bandwidth necessary. I mean, the latencies would have to be so minute as to where you move your mouse is where your cross hairs should be displayed in real time, and we suffer from lag now already lol, not likely for a long time.

VMWare is a far better idea for Business to use, but is not a working solution for the home/power user. Cloud sounds good but there are better, more secure solutions out there also cost free with better peace of mind.

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
You really can have it BOTH ways (leverage a Google or Amazon cloud as well as an internal cloud) by keeping your apps/data in a known format such as the standard vmware vmc or some other virtual system. This allows you to freely upload your virtual machines to a cloud provider and still keep their configuration 'in-house.' It also allows you to run your virtual appliances on your own hardware (vmware player, vmware server, virtualbox, etc...) on free appliance software. Bigger needs and more fluid hardware expansion/contraction may require ESX server, etc...

This will tie you to a specific virtual format, but they can migrate from one format to another with little effort. It will definitely avoid being 'tied' to Google or Microsoft, or what-have-you. Look for cloud providers that will let you run your OWN virtual machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.