[SOLVED] VMware Tray Process won't go away

Ensign Scrulu

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
Cheers!

The other day I noticed to my horror that a process named VMware Tray Process was using 50% CPU time in Task Manager.

The .exe file resides in C:\Users\{my account}\AppData\Local\Temp but deleting it or stopping the process Task Manager does no good as it somehow self-starts. In short it behaves like a virus.

VMware virtual machine is not installed and subsequently does not show up neither in Control Panel>Programs and Features or my copy of the eminent Revo Uninstaller.

I tried Unlocker 1.9.2 to no avail. What can be done about this <Mod Edit>?
Thank you.

<Moderator Warning: Profanity of any kind is not permitted here>

Ensign Scrulu

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013

Ensign Scrulu

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
Hi again. I had completely forgotten about it, but as a result of a massive attack of malware, rootkit viruses and all manner of such niceties a few years back, I had a collection of links to stuff that had been useful remedies at that time:
AV-s.jpg

I started with Hitman Pro which back then was free but has since begun to use what I call ransomware tactics, i.e. they claim to have found a gazillion baddies*, but they want to be paid before removing them.
Howzat? Puh-leeze! An anti-virus program acting like a virus? So I was, like, I think not and out they went.
Next up was Windows malware removal tool and then somehow Malwarebytes trial got into the tussle then all hell broke loose.
At one time, hours ago, I had to use the USB stick which I had installed Windows 10 from to restore .NET framework and . . .
The struggle still goes on but VMware Tray Process hasn't reared its ugly head since I began cleaning up so there's hope yet.
Again thank you Colif!

*Hopefully the word baddies isn't considered a profanity in this convent of a forum or I'm done for.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i forgot hitman pro charges for removal.
I would have tried bitdefender, pretty sure they don't stoop to such tactics. I use the paid version myself. I think only difference between both versions is what is turned on. Its AV is normally in top 3 on detection tests.

You should be safe with that word.

Ensign Scrulu

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
i forgot hitman pro charges for removal.
I would have tried bitdefender, pretty sure they don't stoop to such tactics. I use the paid version myself. I think only difference between both versions is what is turned on. Its AV is normally in top 3 on detection tests.

You should be safe with that word.
Oh, I would have paid for any piece of software that was really helpful like I did with Revo Uninstaller. Like the Clean Up Woman it really cleans up.
I just don't have the money for all that I want to buy.
Also, I have used Everything by Voidtools for the longest time but that's free.
Still, in the anti malware department I am very impressed with the Windows Anti Malware Tool.
It does a thorough, solid job w/o any chest thumping - papa like!