VMWare VRAM is set to 0MB and I cannot change screen res (Mac OS 10.7)

Doombot1

Commendable
May 25, 2016
Hello!

I just installed Mac OS X 10.7 (Yosemite) via VMware on my Windows 10 PC. However, I am having issues related to how much VRAM is being allocated to the operating system. My GPU is a Geforce 1070 (6gb), and I have 64GB of DDR4 RAM in my machine, so I definitely have enough VRAM for all to go around. However, I cannot seem to figure out how to change either my VRAM (as I need 128mb at the least to run Final Cut Pro), or my screen res (I have a 1920x1080 monitor, and it is set to 1920x1080 in the VM settings, but in the OS itself, I can't change it from 1024x768). Please help me fix this - I need to use FCP ASAP! Check out the screenshots I included below so you can see what I'm talking about.

http://imgur.com/a/Wdh01

Thanks for the help!

-Dylan T

Solution
First, having a macOS as a virtual machine on a Windows 10 host is not supported. I assume you are using VMware Workstation Pro or Player.

VMware Workstation Pro or Player does not directly pass/share the graphics from the Host Graphic Card. So even if you have a GeForce 1070 it is only the Host which sees this card.

Within the Virtual Machine, VMware offers SVGA as the graphics adapter. Depending on the virtual machine the maximum graphics you can allocate to a virtual machine is 2 GB VRAM if it is Workstation/Player 14.x.

Note: This VRAM is actually shared from the amount of RAM allocated to the VM and not from the Host GPU.

Conclusion: There is no dedicated graphics available to the VM and only shared graphics memory. This...

shreku

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017
Hi Dylan,
I have the same exact problem
I am also trying to install FCP, Any solution ?
Thanks!

Doombot1

Commendable
May 25, 2016

Apologies for the [very] late reply. Sadly, I have scoured every corner of the internet, to no avail. I have an 8GB graphics card in my PC, but VMWare will only allow a max of 512 MB of VRAM in the guest OS. I have tried with Yosemite, Sierra, and High Sierra, on multiple laptops as well. Sorry!

Rakshith2302

Reputable
Sep 28, 2015
First, having a macOS as a virtual machine on a Windows 10 host is not supported. I assume you are using VMware Workstation Pro or Player.

VMware Workstation Pro or Player does not directly pass/share the graphics from the Host Graphic Card. So even if you have a GeForce 1070 it is only the Host which sees this card.

Within the Virtual Machine, VMware offers SVGA as the graphics adapter. Depending on the virtual machine the maximum graphics you can allocate to a virtual machine is 2 GB VRAM if it is Workstation/Player 14.x.

Note: This VRAM is actually shared from the amount of RAM allocated to the VM and not from the Host GPU.

Conclusion: There is no dedicated graphics available to the VM and only shared graphics memory. This applies to all the hosted virtualization platform.

Solution